Which Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so in the next couple of days, i need to register for my last semester as an undergrad. I was hoping i could get some opinions on which psychology course i should take. I only have room to take one more psyc class. As you know, i am interested in going to grad school for clinical psychology (practice, not research), so if anyone has any advice on which course I should sign up for, it would be appreciated. Not so much which would help me get into grad school but if I can get in somewhere, which would be the most useful course to have under my belt?

Here are the courses i have taken

Intro to psychology
community psychology
personality psychology
adjustment psychology/multicultural psychology
psychological research methods
psychopathology
neuropsychology
developmental psychology
clinical psychology research
behavior modification

Here are the ones i can potentially sign up for

Behavior disturbances in children
cognitive psychology
social psychology
advanced personality psychology
history of psychology
physiological psychology
advanced developmental psychology
industrial/organizational psychology
psychopharmacology

And as a note, i do know this probably fits better in the other psychology forum but no one really ventures into it often enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Take History of Psych-- If you attend an APA-accredited program, you'll likely have to take it eventually anyway. Best to get it out of the way in undergrad.

Take History of Psych-- If you attend an APA-accredited program, you'll likely have to take it eventually anyway. Best to get it out of the way in undergrad.

Do undergrad courses like that transfer into graduate credit?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do undergrad courses like that transfer into graduate credit?

When it comes to the APA foundational courses, they often do. (At my school they definitely do). Anyone else have similar/different experiences?

I agree. I would go with your interest first and foremost. Hx and system will often transfer into a doctoral program, but most people find that course pretty easy in grad school, so its not a class that would take up alot for time for you anyway. So my best judegment would be to just take the one that fits your interest most.

I looooved Psychopharm, so I recommend that as well!

You wouldn't be able to transfer a History of Psych undergrad course into my program; has to be grad-level. I wouldn't decide based on that.

I'd (a) do whatever is most interesting to you, while (b) possibly looking to see if any of those courses are also grad-level, or if you could enroll in a grad-level course.

I'dd definitely take physio psych, especially before psychopharm. Considering the field is moving into a more biologically-based direction, it can only help you in the future no matter what you end up doing.

I do not agree with taking a course that may or may not transfer in grad school. I'm in a PhD program, and many of the students who came in w/their master's had difficulty transfering even such standard apa-required courses. Further, why not sample another area of psychology that you may whet your interests? Especially in undergrad, you should have the opportunity to explore intellectual pursuits w/out worrying too much about how you might apply the info in your future practice. good luck!

I took psychopharm before biopsych and was okay, but, yeah, you may want to do that first :D

history of psych - not only for reasons already stated, but it's just plain interesting.

When it comes to the APA foundational courses, they often do. (At my school they definitely do). Anyone else have similar/different experiences?

They wouldn't transfer credit for that at my school either unless it was at the grad level. Also, be careful of this if you want to work in a state (like Mass) that requires History and Systems for licensure. The licensing board here will absolutely NOT accept it as an undergraduate course and won't even accept it if you took it at the graduate level while still enrolled at the university as an undergraduate.

In short, be careful of what you try to transfer out of at the graduate level and make sure you can still meet licensing requirements.

I am starting to think that physiological or cognitive would be best. I have been thinking about psychopharmacology for awhile but it isn't actually listed as a course next semester, so i am not sure now if i can take it.

The neuropsychology course i took and my personality course both touched on physiological psychology a bit, which was always interesting. However, it also seems like cognitive psychology has a lot of influence on the field. I think physiological or cognitive would work best. I may also see who teaches the advanced personality psychology course. If it is the same professor i had for intro to personality, it would probably be a good course to take. If not though, i will probably go for cognitive or physiological.

Thanks, kids :thumbup:

I am starting to think that physiological or cognitive would be best. I have been thinking about psychopharmacology for awhile but it isn't actually listed as a course next semester, so i am not sure now if i can take it.

The neuropsychology course i took and my personality course both touched on physiological psychology a bit, which was always interesting. However, it also seems like cognitive psychology has a lot of influence on the field. I think physiological or cognitive would work best. I may also see who teaches the advanced personality psychology course. If it is the same professor i had for intro to personality, it would probably be a good course to take. If not though, i will probably go for cognitive or physiological.

Thanks, kids :thumbup:

I would have voted for Cognitive or Social. It would be hard to pick a bad one from the list, except possibly I/O. That one might bore you a bit.

Mark

Psychopharm was my favorite from that list but I would probably take a basic like social or cognitive if I had never taken them. Or I would base it on the quality of the professor.

One thing i have been wondering for awhile is would a course in cognitive psychology be absolutely required to fully understand clinical psychology? If i don't take cognitive before i (presumably) go to grad school, would i be totally lost? Is it a fundamental, must take course for clinical psychology or is it not that important?

One thing i have been wondering for awhile is would a course in cognitive psychology be absolutely required to fully understand clinical psychology? If i don't take cognitive before i (presumably) go to grad school, would i be totally lost? Is it a fundamental, must take course for clinical psychology or is it not that important?

I would argue that all clinical psychologists need to be well rounded in the core science of psychology, and cog is one of them. Especially the role of cognitive and affective basis of behavior of normal behavior and how they contribute to psychopathology. This is especially true for neurpsych, as neuropsych really was born from applying experimental paradigms to clinical phenomena.

My grad school cog class was NOTHING like my undergrad... two totally different animals.

Mark

I'd say cognitive psychology is very important. As someone said already, understanding the cognitive and affective bases for behavior is essential to a good grasp of clinical psychology. However, I doubt you'd be totally lost if you didn't take a course in this undergrad. I'm a believer that if you have a pretty good grounding in psych and are smart enough to get into a grad program, then you'll be able to keep up.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd take the physio class, unless you already have a good background in that area. It will help when you do take neuroanatomy and pharmacology in grad school.

Unfortunately none of the recommended courses or the ones that i settled on taking were available. I have a stats class that really gets in the way next semester. I had to sign up for social psychology. I'm not exactly thrilled about it but it could be a lot worse. The professor is supposed to be amazing and social psychology is pretty important. As long as it is better than community psychology, i think i will be just fine.