Which courses do I take before taking the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my Sophomore year, and am trying to plan out everything through the end of my Junior year as far as classes go and am wondering which courses should I take before taking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going into my Sophomore year, and am trying to plan out everything through the end of my Junior year as far as classes go and am wondering which courses should I take before taking the DAT?

General biology, general chemistry, ochem, anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, to name a few.

I was wondering this too, is anatomy and physiology really necessary, and will it suffice not to take physics before the DAT, as I am trying to take it during sophmore summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering this too, is anatomy and physiology really necessary, and will it suffice not to take physics before the DAT, as I am trying to take it during sophmore summer.

Definitely take anatomy and physiology before taking the DAT. General Bio only glosses over that. Physics is not covered by the DAT so you can take it after.

biochem??? isnt that more pharmacy..

biochem??? isnt that more pharmacy..

A lot of schools strongly recommend Biochem and there are increasing number of them that are beginning to require that as a prereq.

With all due respect, the guy is talking about DAT. I am sure some schools somewhere might have added biochemistry as their requirement since you perceivably talk about drugs [not in detail like pharmacy] since dentists do prescribe painkillers etc.

My school offers anatomy and physiology as two separate classes. I can't fit physiology into my schedule before the DAT. Would I be okay with taking anatomy and then just reading a physiology book?

My school offers anatomy and physiology as two separate classes. I can't fit physiology into my schedule before the DAT. Would I be okay with taking anatomy and then just reading a physiology book?

Take whatever you can. If taking a course is going to throw you into a loop maybe it isn't worth it.

With all due respect, the guy is talking about DAT. I am sure some schools somewhere might have added biochemistry as their requirement since you perceivably talk about drugs [not in detail like pharmacy] since dentists do prescribe painkillers etc.

You take biochem in dental school. Their biochem course has a more detailed focus relating to human health than a general biochem in undergrad.

Bare minimum would be general bio, gchem and Ochem. That's the bare minimum... if you take extra bio, that should help you hammer down the basic bio stuff.

Isn't DAT science stuff pretty much like the PCAT???

There were more physio than anatomy on my exam.

There were more physio than anatomy on my exam.

Agreed. Take physio, bio, gen chem, ochem, maybe a trigonometry course for the math section, i had a ton of evolution questions on mine as well. Study everything you can.

Bare minimum would be general bio, gchem and Ochem. That's the bare minimum... if you take extra bio, that should help you hammer down the basic bio stuff.

Nod, that's all I had before my DAT. However, I had to spend a lot of time learning physiology and more basic biochem before the exam. From my experience the DAT isn't a test of course material explicity; I had to study specifically for it. As long as you are willing to put in the time to learn certain topics on your own, you don't have to take any courses!

Though, I'd say gen bio, gen chem, orgo, physiology, and biochem would be ideal if I could do it all over again.

By the time you finish physio, anatomy, cell bio, biochem you run the risk of forgetting your basics.

Do you think that BioChem is a must? It is looking more and more likely that I will have to put that off until my senior year.

Hey barelli, (or however u spell it) you and I are in the exact same boat with the same worries...except I am not worrying about it anymore cuz I now know better. :D I am heading into my sophomore year and here is my plan for science classes, (i've already taken general zoology and general botany)
2008 fall semester: gen chem1, A&P 1
2009 spring semester: gen chem2, A&P 2
2009 fall semester: orgochem1, Prinicples of Biology 1
2010 spring semester: orgochem2, Principles of Biology 2
Then I am applying as early as possible May 15 hopefully :D (before I take the DAT) Then study for the DAT for 1 - 1 and a half months, and take the DAT sometime late June or VERY early July. Like another poster said, just be willing to study and learn on your own with shuams bio (i heard is great for biology) and some other DAT self-help books before taking your DAT. Shouldn't be too hard. I personally believe the sequence in which I am taking my science classes is very strategic because I will have everything fresh in my mind right before the DAT. Good luck bro, lemme know if u need nething else.

I am a sophmore and after this semester will have completed orgo 1 and 2, gen chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, (AP out of gen bio 1 and 2) cell bio, genetics, organismal bio, and calc 2. I am planning on taking the Kaplan Review course this summer and taking the DATs in the beginning of next semester... do I have enough course load to do so? I am not sure if I should hold up on taking them or not, but this is the only time I will really have time to take the review course

I am a sophmore and after this semester will have completed orgo 1 and 2, gen chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, (AP out of gen bio 1 and 2) cell bio, genetics, organismal bio, and calc 2. I am planning on taking the Kaplan Review course this summer and taking the DATs in the beginning of next semester... do I have enough course load to do so? I am not sure if I should hold up on taking them or not, but this is the only time I will really have time to take the review course

Wow, you really dug up an old thread here!! lol

Courses look fine, just be sure to study a lot beforehand. You might want to look into DAT destroyer and maybe even a few practice tests like Topscore. Take a look in the DAT section; should have lots of info there for you. :)