Courses before DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biologist

Reaction score
I am applying during the 2025-2026 cycle and deciding between taking the DAT either summer 2024 or 2025. Since I am studying biomedical engineering, adding extra courses to my schedule is difficult but possible. I am inclined towards taking the DAT summer 2024 because I don't want to forget concepts from my core classes. However, it seems as though taking certain extra courses can be helpful for the DAT. Below I have listed the courses I plan on taking (or have taken) that could be relevant to the DAT.

I would appreciate any advice about my situation and specific courses.

Before summer 2024:
  • Biology (1 year)
  • General chemistry (1 year)
  • Organic chemistry (1 year)
Before summer 2025:
  • Organic Chemistry Lab*
  • Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
  • Pre-health Biochemistry
  • Statistics
Possible extra courses before summer 2025:
  • Cell Biology
  • Anatomy & Physiology
  • Microbiology
*Could take before summer 2024

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure your get the most recent copy of the Candidate Guide, which should have the topic outline.

Reactions: 1 users
I am applying during the 2025-2026 cycle and deciding between taking the DAT either summer 2024 or 2025. Since I am studying biomedical engineering, adding extra courses to my schedule is difficult but possible. I am inclined towards taking the DAT summer 2024 because I don't want to forget concepts from my core classes. However, it seems as though taking certain extra courses can be helpful for the DAT. Below I have listed the courses I plan on taking (or have taken) that could be relevant to the DAT.

I would appreciate any advice about my situation and specific courses.

Before summer 2024:
  • Biology (1 year)
  • General chemistry (1 year)
  • Organic chemistry (1 year)
Before summer 2025:
  • Organic Chemistry Lab*
  • Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
  • Pre-health Biochemistry
  • Statistics
Possible extra courses before summer 2025:
  • Cell Biology
  • Anatomy & Physiology
  • Microbiology
*Could take before summer 2024
For DAT Summer 2024, you should be fine. I agree with what you stated it is advisable to take it while the subjects, especially Organic Chemistry, are still fresh in your mind. Right now, your priority should be focusing on your coursework to maintain a high GPA.
Here is another helpful link for you.
DAT

Wishing you the best...Nancy

Reactions: 1 users