Which Cycle Are You On?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BowlingDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes SDN makes me feel alone so I wanted to start a thread...

Which cycle are you on for applying to Dental School this year!

I am a reapplicant and this is my 2nd cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first cycle.

How do schools weigh this information (if you've applied previous years)? Is it a negative thing or do they see it as something positive since it shows commitment to wanting to attend dental school? I'd think it is also positive if they see an upward trend (higher GPA from a Masters program or more shadowing hours, etc.).

I am currently on a bulking cycle (d-bol + deca) but soon I am gonna go off and get on a cutting cycle next year ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

How has your experience this cycle been different from your first one?

Have you had any interviews or do you have any scheduled that are coming up?

This is my second cycle, so I'm a re-applicant as well. You're definitely not alone :) At one of my recent interviews, I met someone along the way who said it was their third cycle. Applying more than once isn't as rare as you think, even if SDN makes it seem that way. Hopefully luck will be on our side this time!

Reactions: 1 user
When I toured a dental school last spring the D1 I spoke to said it took him three cycles before he got in. He was incredibly happy and probably the coolest student we met.

2nd cycle like you!

I screwed up big time last year. I applied before I took the
DAT, then I didn't get the chance to take the DAT for personal and family reasons!

Had I waited, I might have been a good applicant this year.

Oh, well!

I read this quote today which might give you hope!

"A setback has often cleared the way for greater prosperity. Many things have fallen only to rise to more exalted heights."
Seneca

Reactions: 1 user
Its my second, could of been my 3rd but I couldn't apply my first year after undergrad due to personal reasons. Im honestly glad Ive had to wait its given me plenty of time to understand the significance of taking on large amounts of loans and I feel a greater amount of appreciation for dentistry as a whole.

Reactions: 1 users

This is my second cycle. I did well in undergrad, but didn’t perform well on my first DAT exam. That forced me to take a gap year, which I was completely devastated about at first. I’m now realizing that things happen for a reason and have come to terms that it was actually a blessing. I can relax, create good habits that I can bring to dental school (gym and cooking healthy meals), make a little money, and pick up hobbies that I never had the time to enjoy.

Reactions: 4 users
This is my second cycle. I did well in undergrad, but didn’t perform well on my first DAT exam. That forced me to take a gap year, which I was completely devastated about at first. I’m now realizing that things happen for a reason and have come to terms that it was actually a blessing. I can relax, create good habits that I can bring to dental school (gym and cooking healthy meals), make a little money, and pick up hobbies that I never had the time to enjoy.

This is a very healthy mature attitude; I wonder if they ask about what changed this cycle in the interview.

I am on my third cycle applying .. everything happens for a reason I took the dat 3 time and each time did well in sciences section but did poorly in English .. it was hard for me been that English is my second language it was challenging. I went through alot worse situation so I have though skin .. never give up on dreams .. fight hard and remember we live in USA everything is possible. Will fight till is right .. lots of my friends got accept and moved on but I'm still here but what I learn never compare yourself to anyone because each of us have our own journey and it is unique in it's own ways. You are not alone ... I know alot people that took the dat 3 or 4 time to get accepted and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my moto g(6) using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users