1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which Dental School Is Cheap?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ElBerHarSo, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElBerHarSo

ElBerHarSo Guest

Pre-Dental
    Ok, so USC is the most expensive.
    The Dental School in Austin is the cheapest so far.

But I dont know if I want to live in Texas with the rednecks because I hear it's an awful place.

Help me out, should I choose my Dental School based on money?
    Would anybody else go to Texas for Dental School?

Is UOP the best place?
    Which dental School is cheap and good?
    Does the Austin Dental School have a good reputation?

I would love to live at home and be comfortable, but at the same time, I dont wanna be in debt 300K when I get out. But I dont want to be miserable in Texas or some other hell and have no debt/

What do I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. night007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    University of Florida is suppose to be cheap as well

4. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Almost all private schools will cost more than any public school. Your state school will be the cheapest. If your state doesn't have a school, then it may have a relationship with a neighboring state with a public dental school. In general, it's difficult to get into a public school if you're not a resident in that state or if the school has some sort of arrangement with surrounding states that do not have their own state-funded dental school. If you are a super stud applicant and do make it into a public school outside your state, you'll usually have to pay out-of-state tuition, which bumps the price up to rival most private school.

Not the most current, but here are the tuition prices for in-state and out-of-state students from 2003-2004.
    http://dentalstats.tripod.com/03-04.htm

oh, btw, UT-Austin doesn't have a dental school. Only San Antonio and Houston.

5. C-GAR

C-GAR Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Word of caution: I am a stupid redneck from Texas so I am probably dumber than dirt anyways and don't know what I am talking about but:

There are no dental schools in Austin. There is one in Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas. Whoever is telling you that Austin has a cheap dental school is probably the same genius that told you Texas is an aweful miserable hell. You should probably stay clear from Texas anyways, we have enough people that love it here and don't need anyone coming in with ignorant statements like the ones you posted.

6. toofache32

15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Amazing. And we Texans are the ones accused of being bigots.

The Troll is strong with you, young padawan...

[​IMG]

7. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I thought NYU was the most expensive one...
    Your in state school is always the cheapest one. If you go out of state you will be spending at least 200K. UoP is consider the best by some b/c its a 3 year program. The sooner you graduate the sooner you can start making $$.

8. ElBerHarSo

ElBerHarSo Guest

Pre-Dental
    Oops, I meant San Antonio, not Austin....My mistake

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone from Texas. It's just that everyone, literally EVERYONE I have met from texas isn't that educated and they are super angry and mean....always angry about everything. I met this one guy from Texas and he said EVERYONE who lives there is a angry, uptight republican. I have never been there but people tell me Texas is it's own country and people there are racist. Plus, I always see murders and crime in Houston and surrounding neighborhoods all the time. I dont want to be in an environment like that.

Now, Im sure not everyone is like that and everywhere in the world has good and bad people, but I really want to go to Dental School somewhere sophisticated, with friendly people where I wont get killed.

But why dont the people who go to Dental School there tell me how it's really like. I like to think that people there are friendly and all that I have heard is false.

I would love to go to UOP or UCSF, NYU, Tufts, places like that.

Wow, Medical College of Georgia is cheap. Only 60k. Jeez, I am so applying there.

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    And the name of that school would be what?

10. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good luck getting in.
    MCG only takes people from the state of Georgia. So unless you are a resident dont bother applying because they wont look at your application.

11. Dr.Jamie

Dr.Jamie New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    With how competitive dental school is, I wouldn't bet on getting into your dream cheap, no murders ever, no racists, sophisticated school. I can't imagine that Texas would be bad to be honest. Now if you have fantastic stats, apply to your top choices and maybe you'll get lucky. Side note, as a dentist, you may have to deal with all the types of people you hate.

12. ElBerHarSo

ElBerHarSo Guest

Pre-Dental
    Ok, then I wont apply to Georgia then. I wish USC was that cheap...I hate USC for being so expensive, I do however want to go there though.

Yeah, I assisted for this dentist and saw how beautifully she dealt with the rudest most offensive people.

It all depends on the Dentist's attitude though. Im sure when I get into Dental School, a lot of things will get better and the things that bother me now wont bother me then.

I hear that first years in USC dont do anything but party the first year, is that true? I hear that they only come to school one day a week and have fun the rest...WOW...that sounds like so much fun.

USC people have been really nice for the most part.

13. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey, ...I am from Texas. I do not know where you heard that Texans are mean. Maybe we seemed mean to you because you said something extremely ignorant or offensive to us. I do not know if you were trying to be mean in the making of this thread, but it is astonishing that someone who is suppose to be wanting to apply to dental school (assuming you are mature adult) would make such an ignorant remark. Have fun trying to get accepted with your bigotry and your obscure opinions. Your interviewers will only see an intolerant person sitting in front of them. You should grow up and learn to be considerate, and keep your disgusting opinions to yourself, little person. :laugh: Good day to you. To belittle, is to be little! - Cofo

14. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

This guy (or gal) can't be for real. What a jackass!

15. Cofo

Cofo Super Cool Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yes,I know. He (or she) is probably 22 years old, still thinking he's in highschool, and that it is funny to make fun of people. Good luck kid on impressing your interviewers. HAH! Good luck on keeping your patients if you actually do somehow become a dentist. (but in all honesty, I for one, forgive you for your bigotry.) Seriously now, good luck, and work on maturing and being tolerant.

16. Columbia07

5+ Year Member

Dental Student

LoL....this just keeps getting better!

17. ElBerHarSo

ElBerHarSo Guest

Pre-Dental
    I think it's LA...it's so segregated here, and people here are mean. LA is the most segregated place ever with stereotypical people left and right.

This city is getting to me. I know people are nice in other places, but I think the meanest and most cut throat people move here. I cant wait to get out.

Im unhappiest when I live here. Im dying to get into Dental School so I can get out of here.

LA doesnt have racist people, but everyone here is struggling for their own space and it leads to racial tension...it's tough to be happy in LA and have peace.

Almost everywhere else I have been is good, besides New York...that place is great for vacation but I could never live there..too hectic.

18. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

You write like a ten year old.

19. Neil45

Neil45 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

Wow. :eek: And you want to be a dentist?

20. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    A sci GPA of 3.2 with AA 18 and PA of 17 does not provide much traction.

21. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Somebody stop this...please.

Attached Files:

• som.jpg
      som.jpg
      File size:
      6.4 KB
      Views:
  22. jim85213

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Hey Ron Jeremy made it into our forums....sweet!

23. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.