Which dental schools are for me if any???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DBrasco778

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my DAT today and here are my scores

aa 20
pa 17
qr 21
rc 19
bio 21
gc 18
oc 19
ts 19

My GPA is just below a 3.0 :scared: , however this is only because of one year
without that year it's closer to a 3.25. I originally went to muhlenberg but then transferred to kings college in PA. For the last year i had a 3.75 as a molecular biology major. My research from muhlenberg was published in an enviromental magazine and I have done some shadowing. Am I wasting my time by applying or are there schools out there for me???
 
ps here are the schools i was planning on applying too:
i'm a PA resident

pitt,temple,maryland,BU,umdnj, and both the suny schools

any other places i should consider??

thanks

Don
 
Ok, although I havent actually gotten in, and are still applying, I may be able to help you. Your DAT scores are considered competitive, which is obviously good, and it seems like you GPA has had a rising trend (which is favorably looked up ) obviously your going to have a little more difficulty than those wih the same DAT scores and a higher GPA. But these individuals tend to apply later than sooner, so its your advantage to get your application in as early as possible (especially with rolling admissions). Also, state schools only accept a few people from out of state, so if possible, stick to in state schools. Also, I hope you have some serious dental experience. THis is pretty much required for all dental schools. Hope this helps
 
"serious dental experience" - my friend who is also applying this cycle called up both of the in state schools in our state and they said most applicants including seriously considered ones only have several days worth of shadowing for their dental experience and that is really all they look for. although obviously someone who has worked as an assistant or whatever is going to get props, i don't think these people are the norm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think that you will get some interviews if:

-you apply early
-have a good statement letter + solid LOR
-and apply to some schools that encourage out of staters (ie IUSD)

good luck
 
so i should not bother applying to maryland, umdnj, and the suny schools? Does it help that I've been interested in dental school since highschool (i was originally in the berg/penn 3-4 program)
I was looking at the stat book I bought from the ADEA and it said WVU had lower acceptance standards than the rest of the nation
thanks
 
DBrasco778 said:
what do you consider as early? waht date should i apply by?

Because it is getting so competitive over the years and you do not have a stellar GPA, there are no period that is considered 'early' anymore. Even so, early application submission is the best method in getting into d-school because during this time, applicants available are less and therefore have a better chance of getting interviews.

YOU SHOULD APPLY ASAP - BUT REALLY TRY TO SUBMIT IT BY THE END OF JULY (if you want an exact date)!!

Check the 'Under 3.0 Club' thread in the Pre-Dental forum for information on which schools to apply for.
 
hey, just some advice, i would also apply to the big private schools. definately apply to NYU, NOVA, case, and possibly colombia. you probably have the best chance at NYU since they have a huge incoming class. good luck.

omar
 
I noticed someone said "good letterse of rec..." Honestly, who is going to get a letter of rec that isn't good? I think you would be hard pressed not to 🙂 I've read schools just glaze over your personally essay and app to see if the jist is good, so are they realling going to tear apart your letter of rec? 🙂 Just wondering why everyone says they are SUCH A BIG deal, when it's quite easy to find 3 credible people to write you good letters. Maybe i'm missing something.