Which fellowships are competitive in PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmycburkitt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MSIII interested in PM&R. Haven't done a rotation yet but have already heard a lot about the field and worked with a few during undergrad as my major was kinesiology. I know pain fellowships are extremely hard to come by. What about the others? I often see Sports/Spine fellowships linked together. Is it possible to do a Spine fellowship without sports? Would a pure spine fellowship be SCI? What about fellowships in EMGs? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some fellowships that are sport & spine (Michigan State off the top of my head) or there are fellowships that are pure spine (lots of places). Spine fellowship = back, neck pain with interventional training, but for one reason or the other, does not meet ACGME criteria to be an acredited pain fellowship. SCI is another ball of wax.

You shouldn't need further training for EMG (ie a specifical fellowship) unless you are interested in NMD/myopthies/etc. or didn't goto a program that gave you good EMG training.

Re; competitiveness; Pain >>> Spine >>> SCI = TBI = Research = Peds (although there aren't a lot of Peds fellowships)

Hope this helps, hope I didn't mess up my response :laugh: