Which field of Medicine Has The Best LifeStyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marathon chick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which field- Derm, Rad, PM&R, or Occ Med? Which ones and Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Try doing a search. This topic is brought up frequently...almost as much as:

-which stethoscope
-here's my stats, do I have a chance
-how hard is medical school

the answers are always the same:

-which ever one you like best
-retake the MCAT
-depends on you

Firebird,
I disagree with your statement "what ever you like best" . A person has to be happy in his/her life outside of medicine too. What's the point in working 100 hours per week. Let's say this 100per/wk job + man/woman= no life and boring person. Come on, choosing a field in medicine is important to lifestyle. I think alot of people find out about this reality a little too late.

Members don't see this ad :)
masrathon chick,
I believe Firebird was referring to the stethoscope question.

All of the fields you mentioned are lifestyle friendly, which of these you choose does really depend on "which you like best".The residencies are low key as far as nightcall and hours worked per week as resident and attending goes.The problem with Derm is getting in to it(VERY high demand for VERY few residency openings),Rads is easier but still highly competitive.PM&R is not difficult to get a spot if working with patients who have chronic neurological/spinal cord and similar injuries appeals to you.Occupational medicine is a very administrative field which involves dealing with workers comp and related legal issues,it can be lucrative for some.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by marathon chick:
•Firebird,
I disagree with your statement "what ever you like best" . A person has to be happy in his/her life outside of medicine too. What's the point in working 100 hours per week. Let's say this 100per/wk job + man/woman= no life and boring person. Come on, choosing a field in medicine is important to lifestyle. I think alot of people find out about this reality a little too late.•••••Yeah, I was talking about stethoscopes. But you're right...lifestyle is very important. Especially to me...check out this thread:

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000344" target="_blank">Important Question</a>

That's a topic I posted a long time ago...