Which field of Medicine Has The Best LifeStyle?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by marathon chick, Apr 8, 2002.

1. marathon chick

Which field- Derm, Rad, PM&R, or Occ Med? Which ones and Why?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

Try doing a search. This topic is brought up frequently...almost as much as:

-which stethoscope
    -here's my stats, do I have a chance
    -how hard is medical school

the answers are always the same:

-which ever one you like best
    -retake the MCAT
    -depends on you

4. marathon chick

Firebird,
    I disagree with your statement "what ever you like best" . A person has to be happy in his/her life outside of medicine too. What's the point in working 100 hours per week. Let's say this 100per/wk job + man/woman= no life and boring person. Come on, choosing a field in medicine is important to lifestyle. I think alot of people find out about this reality a little too late.

5. Sanman

Sanman O.G.

Psychologist
    masrathon chick,
    I believe Firebird was referring to the stethoscope question.

6. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member

All of the fields you mentioned are lifestyle friendly, which of these you choose does really depend on "which you like best".The residencies are low key as far as nightcall and hours worked per week as resident and attending goes.The problem with Derm is getting in to it(VERY high demand for VERY few residency openings),Rads is easier but still highly competitive.PM&R is not difficult to get a spot if working with patients who have chronic neurological/spinal cord and similar injuries appeals to you.Occupational medicine is a very administrative field which involves dealing with workers comp and related legal issues,it can be lucrative for some.

7. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by marathon chick:
    <strong>Firebird,
    I disagree with your statement "what ever you like best" . A person has to be happy in his/her life outside of medicine too. What's the point in working 100 hours per week. Let's say this 100per/wk job + man/woman= no life and boring person. Come on, choosing a field in medicine is important to lifestyle. I think alot of people find out about this reality a little too late.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I was talking about stethoscopes. But you're right...lifestyle is very important. Especially to me...check out this thread:

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000344" target="_blank">Important Question</a>

That's a topic I posted a long time ago...