Which Foreign language should I learn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's definitely something I'd work for. If I get an acceptance from FIU, I'll totally take some Spanish courses in the Spring, since they're in Miami. I've already got French down, although I need to practice it a lot.

Trade ya, I've got Spanish down! HEHE, Hmmm the lesson begins.

Cuando aplique para la escuala de medecina, el commite de admision me va ver como el super doctor y me va admitir en un segundo. Jaja, como si fuera tan facil. :scared: Sonar es lo unico que puedo acer ahora!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The situation where someone is in need of a Spanish speaker and is unable to find one is, in most areas, not an issue. The need for a French speaker, or a Russian speaker, or yes, a Mongolian speaker, though, does exist. It may not be a constant problem, and it may not get used more than once. But that one time it does get used, it could mean the difference between life and death (due to the lack of anyone else who speaks the language), whereas with Spanish, it's likely to mean the difference between immediate communication and a few minutes of waiting. And in most situations, that will not be a problem.

As I said, this is not to say that taking Spanish is bad, or taking any other language is going to be extremely useful. My only point is that in the grand scheme of things, chaos theory is going to take over, and you're going to have the skills you have. If you know Mongolian when that Mongolian patient is there, great. Your language was put to good use. For all you know, you may get flown across the country to deal with this Mongolian patient, since you're the only one who can speak Mongolian. If you've learned Spanish, great. But if you don't know it, send that person to the doctor next door who speaks it.

You have a false impression of the importance of knowing an - relative to location and other factors - obscure language. No being flown anywhere to save the day with your hot French or Mongolian skills, bud, the hospital/physician in need will just call AT&T translators.

I have the same situation as the OP: I want to take French for pleasure, but know Spanish will be useful. I don't have an aversion to Spanish. So I'll take Spanish now (UG) and French later (after med school, while I'm practicing, whatever).

In general, spanish will be much more useful in the healthcare setting than any other language. Depending where you are, knowing a 3rd language can make you an asset when a patient speaking that language shows up. Around here, spanish is our main #2, but we also have a strong presence of french creole

If you want to learn a language that will be useful in America, other than English of course, Spanish would probably be that language.

learn zoroastrian ... so you can call the shadow deamons to steal tests and off professors that you hate.

I'm trying to become competent in a foreign language, so I can talk to patients that can't speak English well. I really want to take French, because I already have some experience back in high school. However, I have heard that Spanish is the most useful in terms of medicine. What would you guys recommend doing?

You have patients?

Anyway, go with spanish if you want to learn something useful.

Trade ya, I've got Spanish down! HEHE, Hmmm the lesson begins.

Cuando aplique para la escuala de medecina, el commite de admision me va ver como el super doctor y me va admitir en un segundo. Jaja, como si fuera tan facil. :scared: Sonar es lo unico que puedo acer ahora!

Me hace reir tu español. :D Buenazo. Espero q vayas lejos en tu carrera del doctor y traductor! jajaja

You have a false impression of the importance of knowing an - relative to location and other factors - obscure language. No being flown anywhere to save the day with your hot French or Mongolian skills, bud, the hospital/physician in need will just call AT&T translators.

I have the same situation as the OP: I want to take French for pleasure, but know Spanish will be useful. I don't have an aversion to Spanish. So I'll take Spanish now (UG) and French later (after med school, while I'm practicing, whatever).

Hahaha... so true. En serio, with the phone translation services available, I'd say it's simply nice to be able to help calm a pt by speaking his/her native language. Often, pts come in w/ high stress/anxiety/etc. and do not speak English well. At least speaking their native language makes them feel a bit more welcome. When it comes to explaining a procedure or something complex like that, using professional translation services is often best and many hospitals actually require it due to the liabilities involved.

You have patients?

Anyway, go with spanish if you want to learn something useful.

I saw nothing in that post implying that the poster had pts; however, you make it sound like that is such a rare thing. Why is that so surprising? When at work, I have pts. Don't you have pts?

I'm trying to become competent in a foreign language, so I can talk to patients that can't speak English well. I really want to take French, because I already have some experience back in high school. However, I have heard that Spanish is the most useful in terms of medicine. What would you guys recommend doing?

Spanish if you are concerned with talking to patients. Chinese if you are looking to the future and want to collaborate with research. Taking every romance langauge but spanish and romanian is one of my biggest academic regrests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get a kick out of people's faces when they find out I can speak and understand a bunch of the basics in Korean. No one ever expects it.

I get a kick out of people's faces when they find out I can speak and understand a bunch of the basics in Korean. No one ever expects it.
Please tell me you're not one of those people that will pull Korean out of their ass whenever they meet a Korean....

___

to answer OP, I would say that Spanish would be useful. But the level you'll need for medicine is probably much more of a commitment than you'll want to do, especially as an adult learner, unless you only need "tengo un dolor en *insert body part*". You can probably learn conversational I suppose.

Might as well go for a language that you really want to learn. I always wanted to learn Portuguese. It's so pretty to listen to.

They're surprised because they just talked a lot of **** about you in Korean.

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me you're not one of those people that will pull Korean out of their ass whenever they meet a Korean....

___

to answer OP, I would say that Spanish would be useful. But the level you'll need for medicine is probably much more of a commitment than you'll want to do, especially as an adult learner, unless you only need "tengo un dolor en *insert body part*". You can probably learn conversational I suppose.

Might as well go for a language that you really want to learn. I always wanted to learn Portuguese. It's so pretty to listen to.

First thing I do. Every single time. No exceptions. In the cringe-iest way possible.

" Oh hi my name is NotWayneBrady are you Korean?! An nyeong ha sae yo!

Oh, you're from Taiwan...? Ummmm. Choi song ham ni da? "

I think you can try yourself in Korean language! This language can be very hard for those who are not a native speaker of any Asian language that are close to Korean, but it is still possible to learn! There are many different websites that can help you to learn a language, like Duolingo or Memrise. Try to start from some korean phrases.
Awesome language :D

Japanese. I can't think of any other language that contains a lot of valuable knowledge that is not stolen from/widely translated to English sources.

I mean, the Anglosphere is pretty much master race: everyone wants to trade with us, to be able to communicate with us, to emulate us; with the exception of the Japanese, they are strong enough and proud enough.

I don't get the fascination with Spanish. "They" should learn English instead.

Edit: but if you want to enjoy poetry then any language is good, but just pick the one with most material.