Which gas evolves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typicalindian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are we supposed to go about answering these types of questions? Is there some systematic approach to them? I still don't really understand it.

Members don't see this ad.

Experience and probably solubility rules sometimes. For instance, alkane + heat + O2 = CO2 gas evolves always.

Experience and probably solubility rules sometimes. For instance, alkane + heat + O2 = CO2 gas evolves always.

right but that's just a simple combustion reaction, I'm referring to the somewhat obscure ones where the passage will just tell you that they mixed a bunch of crap and BAM some gas evolves

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Do you have a specific example?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure why A, B, or D are wrong, but whenever I did these problems and saw CO2 as an answer choice, I picked it unless there was no way CO2 could be formed. There's carbonate, and acid in the mixture. Acid + Carbonate = carbonic acid (H2CO3) and you know from physiology that there is an equilibrium between H2CO3 and CO2+H2O.

Again, I can't tell you why A, B, or D are wrong, but whenever these types of questions pop up I pick CO2 if I can think of a way CO2 could be made.

Is that the one with nickel and carbonate? Exactly what you said. I saw that Carbonate + HCL -> Auto CO2.