Which GPA would you rather have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SpinEcho13

Cum: 3.77
BCPM: 3.78
Other: 3.76

or

BCPM: 3.83
Other: 3.70

Which would you rather have? Is there a "better" one?

Members don't see this ad.

SpinEcho13 said:
BCPM: 3.78
Other: 3.76

or

BCPM: 3.83
Other: 3.70

Which would you rather have? Is there a "better" one?
You can't be serious? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntman said:
You can't be serious? :laugh:

Haha, I am. One is only counting classes from the respective depts in the BCPM classes the other is putting a few (3-4) BME classes that are directly applicable in BCPM GPA...)

Just wondering if, like MCAT scores, a balanced GPA is better than an unbalanced.

:confused:

Yea, um, I'm going with either?

Really, when you're talking about an above average (or at the average for upper tier schools) GPA no matter how you splice it, does it really matter? If you'd asked about this though:

GPA cum 3.5
Science 3.0
All other 3.8

Versus

GPA cum 3.5
Science 4.0
All other 3.2

I'd go for one with the science GPA that's a 4.0 if I was concerned about med school admission (Although I'd wonder why the person didn't do nearly as well in their other classes seeing as how they tend to be easier A's than say organic chem.

SpinEcho13 said:
Haha, I am. One is only counting classes from the respective depts in the BCPM classes the other is putting a few (3-4) BME classes that are directly applicable in BCPM GPA...)

Just wondering if, like MCAT scores, a balanced GPA is better than an unbalanced.

:confused:
Ahhh...BME does not count towards BCPM GPA. This is mentioned somewhere in the AMCAS FAQ/instruction-book/help. (I remember it explicitly saying so since I was BME too)

Bluntman said:
Ahhh...BME does not count towards BCPM GPA. This is mentioned somewhere in the AMCAS FAQ/instruction-book/help. (I remember it explicitly saying so since I was BME too)

Right, of course "Deisgn of Cardiac Pacemakers" or "Prosthetic Limbs" don't count as science, but I think you could make a strong case that "Cardiac and Respiratory Physiology", "Neurophysiology" and "Biostatistics" (Just a stat class with bio examples instead of test scores or something as examples.) are bio/math classes.

AMCAS says to go by the major course content, not the title or department that offers it. If everyone thinks it's too sketch to count the above classes and that it would result in a late/rejected AMCAS, I won't worry about it, but otherwise why not?

*EDIT* Or if having unbalanced numbers is a turn off.

SpinEcho13 said:
Right, of course "Deisgn of Cardiac Pacemakers" or "Prosthetic Limbs" don't count as science, but I think you could make a strong case that "Cardiac and Respiratory Physiology", "Neurophysiology" and "Biostatistics" (Just a stat class with bio examples instead of test scores or something as examples.) are bio/math classes.

AMCAS says to go by the major course content, not the title or department that offers it. If everyone thinks it's too sketch to count the above classes and that it would result in a late/rejected AMCAS, I won't worry about it, but otherwise why not?

*EDIT* Or if having unbalanced numbers is a turn off.
It won't matter. 3.83 and 3.78 BCPM GPAs are functionally the same in every regard. If you do list some BME courses as bio, however, you certainly don't need to worry about them rejecting your AMCAS or anything extreme like that. The worst that'll happen is you'll get a couple annoying little "X"s on the final version. I would imagine the delay would be insignificant as well, since a reviewer already has to spend the time to go through the whole thing. I was basically in the same spot as you (i.e. listing a couple BME courses would've given me a bit of a BCPM boost) and opted to list all my BME courses under ENGI just cause I knew I'd be annoyed if I had to see "X"s spoiling my nice columns of "/"s.

But yea, basically it doesn't matter at all.

Ooh, AMCAS actually lets you place classes into BCPM if you feel they fit? Hot damn! I was under the impression that all my biopsych classes listed as "PSYCH" wouldn't be included in BCPM, even though most of them could easily be crosslisted as biology classes (drugs of abuse, hormones and behavior, biological rhythms and behavior, etc...)

Sounds like my BCPM just shot up substantially.

Haha, good to know, thanks man. I think I will just list the physiology ones call it a day, 3.77/3.81 will hopefully be good enough

:eek: spoiled bastards

no offense, but, seriously? SERIOUSLY? seriously!

_ian said:
Ooh, AMCAS actually lets you place classes into BCPM if you feel they fit? Hot damn! I was under the impression that all my biopsych classes listed as "PSYCH" wouldn't be included in BCPM, even though most of them could easily be crosslisted as biology classes (drugs of abuse, hormones and behavior, biological rhythms and behavior, etc...)

Sounds like my BCPM just shot up substantially.

Double check to be sure, but I am 99% sure I read that it is based on the content, not the dept that offers the course. IE a BIO class that is about the history of plants is not a science class, but a neurobio class in PSYCH is a BIOL class for BCPM. Double check to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you have got to be kidding Spin. You are the epitome of the OCD, super-intense premed kid that everyone loves to hate. I seriously thought this thread was a joke. You are incredibly cocky and insensitive to post your "worries" in this forum. You're worries are ridiculous and I hope that you have trouble sleeping at night mulling over these 'fears', in addition to wondering where your beloved socks are, or if you have dirty dishes in the sink. More importantly, you should be worried about whose bitch you'll be the next day. You are absolutely ridiculous, and i hope you find happiness in a place like Harvard or Mayo where other pretensious, attention-hungry premed kids like yourself end up.

Darkshooter326 said:
Wow, you have got to be kidding Spin. You are the epitome of the OCD, super-intense premed kid that everyone loves to hate. I seriously thought this thread was a joke. You are incredibly cocky and insensitive to post your "worries" in this forum. You're worries are ridiculous and I hope that you have trouble sleeping at night mulling over these 'fears', in addition to wondering where your beloved socks are, or if you have dirty dishes in the sink. More importantly, you should be worried about whose bitch you'll be the next day. You are absolutely ridiculous, and i hope you find happiness in a place like Harvard or Mayo where other pretensious, attention-hungry premed kids like yourself end up.

Sorry to offend you? :confused: I guess asking legitimate questions is insensitive? :cool: I will refrain from now on. :p

Darkshooter326 said:

Calm down mate. Up and down the spectrum, everyone has these fears.

i think the general consensus on this board is for you to stop being such a little bitch.

The first one. I would think about getting a B+ in that next science course instead of an A to help bring it back down to a 3.78

You guys are ridiculous. Legitimate questions? I'm pretty sure that trying to finagle your GPA one way or another does not make that much of a difference in the long run. My main point was that you losers spend so much time and energy worrying about ridiculous stuff that doesn't make a big deal at all. Your concerns are not real, your queries not legitimate. Sorry :D , apparently i need :eek: multiple faces in here, to be legitimate.

And if you wanted to pose the question, ask the question, rather than parade your statistics around like we all care to see how concerned you are about your admittance to the League of gentleman, you conceited bastard. There are other people here with numbers comparable to yours, and they aren't so insecure to need positive reinforcement from other equally crazy premed kids.

Numbers only take you so far in the process. And the past 2-3 years that you have been worrying about how to play the numbers game, you've sat in your room, and caused the rest of your application to become deficient. Spend your time on other things, live life, don't be so stressed out, your dishes are in the dishwasher, they're good enough to eat on.

Note- "you" in the last paragraph is more a reference to the general OCD premed kid, not necessarily SpinDoctor or Emiliano Zapata specifically :laugh:
That was long, have fun with it :thumbup:

I would PM you, but you don't accept PMs? :rolleyes: I'm done here, think what you want.

I think BCPM grades can be misleading. My friend who is a history major has a 4.0 bcpm with only the required science classes (general/inorganic chem, physics, orgo) and a 3.8something cumulative, I think. My bcpm is lower than his, but it's only because I took a lot of advance science courses.

In all, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're sitting above a 3.5 regarding both cumulative and bcpm. Just don't bomb the mcat and you're the typical matriculant. :thumbup:

Neither... I'll take my own... :D :p

Whatever man. Have fun wallowing in self-pity, just don't bring your OCD nonsense into other people's world. Pretty much, you are a douche, and a lot of people don't want to deal with you're type.