Which has more weight..GPA or DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I notice that sometimes pre-dents have either a lower GPA around 3.0 and a DAT score in the 20's. Other students have GPAs areound 3.6 and DATs around the national average of around 18. Which is more favorable and why?

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

i think it all depends on the individual schools, each school weighs gpa and dat differently. for example, UOP likes to see someone with a really high PAT score than a solid gpa. I believe UCLA emphasizes gpa.

rambo2006 said:
Hello everyone. I notice that sometimes pre-dents have either a lower GPA around 3.0 and a DAT score in the 20's. Other students have GPAs areound 3.6 and DATs around the national average of around 18. Which is more favorable and why?

thanks,
Decent GPA, around a 3.4 is fine. Most schools like DAT scores I think because it is standardized. Some schools are harder than others and some may argue an IVY league student with a 3.3 GPA is more qualified than a no-name school student with a 3.8 GPA. With a standardized DAT test, you can solve that problem. I personally go to a no-name school and my gpa is only a 3.4. So, I guess it helped me prove myself to dental schools.

Hope this helps,
Rich