1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Which has more weight..GPA or DAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rambo2006, Dec 22, 2005.

1. rambo2006

rambo2006 Be a DDS or die trying
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello everyone. I notice that sometimes pre-dents have either a lower GPA around 3.0 and a DAT score in the 20's. Other students have GPAs areound 3.6 and DATs around the national average of around 18. Which is more favorable and why?

thanks,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. DUBS

DUBS Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i think it all depends on the individual schools, each school weighs gpa and dat differently. for example, UOP likes to see someone with a really high PAT score than a solid gpa. I believe UCLA emphasizes gpa.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Richnator

Richnator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Decent GPA, around a 3.4 is fine. Most schools like DAT scores I think because it is standardized. Some schools are harder than others and some may argue an IVY league student with a 3.3 GPA is more qualified than a no-name school student with a 3.8 GPA. With a standardized DAT test, you can solve that problem. I personally go to a no-name school and my gpa is only a 3.4. So, I guess it helped me prove myself to dental schools.

Hope this helps,
    Rich