You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
which high school class is most like pharmacy education?
Started by SeekerofTruth
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
chemistry or biology? what else?
Not really any.
There is nothing in high school that is remotely comparable. Honestly. Workload, subject matter, level of expectations, they're all completely different.
Socially they're about the same though.
Socially they're about the same though.
Moving to the high school forum.
Moving to the high school forum.
we have a high school forum?
Hi, Can you suggest good medical schools for my son. Thank you!
You're a "resident." Shouldn't you already know the answer to that?
I'm planning on becoming a Pharmacist...
I'm taking English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math, Computer Science
And a co-op placement in a Pharmacy. The first few weeks, your co-op teacher teaches you basic things about how to do the work, etc. It is like a course in Pharmacy, or any career you choose. Ask your guidance counselor if your school offers it!
I'm taking English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math, Computer Science
And a co-op placement in a Pharmacy. The first few weeks, your co-op teacher teaches you basic things about how to do the work, etc. It is like a course in Pharmacy, or any career you choose. Ask your guidance counselor if your school offers it!
That's like asking "What class in high school is most like becoming a doctor?". Pharmacology is the study of drugs (uses, effects, pathways etc...). I'd be shocked if a high school had a pharmacology course, or even a biochemistry class for that matter. I know, in my school we have IB Chemistry HL, and there is a 3 month unit on medicines and drugs but that gets nowhere near the complexity level of really any of the basic courses in pharmacy school.
I see by your signature you are already accepted into a school. Congrats!
I see by your signature you are already accepted into a school. Congrats!
D
deleted205891
That's like asking "What class in high school is most like becoming a doctor?". Pharmacology is the study of drugs (uses, effects, pathways etc...). I'd be shocked if a high school had a pharmacology course, or even a biochemistry class for that matter. I know, in my school we have IB Chemistry HL, and there is a 3 month unit on medicines and drugs but that gets nowhere near the complexity level of really any of the basic courses in pharmacy school.
I see by your signature you are already accepted into a school. Congrats!
I've TAed pharmacology for high schoolers, a 3-week course that was about 35 or so hours a week, but this was in a summer program.
I've TAed pharmacology for high schoolers, a 3-week course that was about 35 or so hours a week, but this was in a summer program.
Yeah, a few local universities offer summer classes like that in our area, but I wouldn't think there would be actual classes during the school year. But 7 hours for a 5 day week 😱. That sounds rough...
chemistry or biology? what else?
Chemistry is the closest you'll get, but learning about pharmacodynamics and the lot require much higher levels of science education. Chemistry is the best start.
ap chemistry is the closest you'll get it.
ap chemistry is the closest you'll get it.
Not really. Combine AP Chemistry with AP Biology and AP Calculus, then yeah, maybe. AP courses bear little relationship to real college courses and even less relationship to graduate and/or professional courses. It's not even worth trying.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 325