Which Humanities Classes are worth taking for Pre-meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_ahmed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am stuck with a dilemma of what humanities classes are worth taking for PRE-MEDS. I mean except Philosophy all are crapy courses.

Which other classes in humanities are beneficialhey guys help a pre-med make a humanities decision

Members don't see this ad.

I took a Death and Dying course. It helped me gain perspective on how our society copes with death and is definately applicable to medicine.

My school offers, or at least used to offer a course in Medical Ethics. I would have take the class but I was in the midst of taking my pre-reqs and didn't have the time. It would have been interesting.

dmitri

Members don't see this ad :)
how about you take something that YOU want to take.

I had a question regarding when to start the MCATS trainning sessions and which one

KAPLAN , PRINCETON is best and recommended .

I currently am a sophomore .................

doc ahmed,

be a slacker...dont study ahead! That type of gunner question will bring out the flamethrowers :D

2-6 months prior should be fine, less if the pre-reqs are fresh.

I'm guessing as to which humanities courses would offer the best chances for doing well on the writing samples and verbal?

Take humanity classes that have NOTHING to do with science! Expand your mind (do I sound like a pothead saying that)?

HISTORY - Perhaps the most useful in my opinion of ANY class to take. As they say, history repeats itself and those who don't learn from it are doomed to repeat it.

ECONOMICS - Because so much of the world revolves around it, odds are you might get asked something about it or have a passage relating to world economics.

Anthropology/Ethnic Studies/Social Studies - Good idea just to learn how to look at other cultures and your own as well from different perspectives.

ENGLISH - Creative Writing, Poetry, Classic Studies.. you bet your butt there will probably be several chances to show off the knowledge you get from these classes!!

Art - Well, just personally because I know nothing about it and those questions always throw me for a curve ball and for some reason girls are really impressed when you take them to an Art museum.

Philosophy - Good to know, how to pose interesting questions or answer them in a way that you hope the Board is smoking out too as they grade your paper. Also, the various -isms would make for great passages to confuse the average MCAT taker.

Psych Classes - Do you guys count these as humanities too? Well, honestly.. a lot of it is common sense.. just relating everything back to wants and needs and lots of sex thrown in there too. Arguably you can claim society is merely an overblown courting ritual so people can get laid. But still, a great way to stand a question on its head, especially in essays.

Hope these help.