Which IM residency programs are known to have strong hem/onc programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KidAtHeart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can find out which IM residency programs are known for producing successful hem/onc fellowship candidates? My preferred region is Northeast or Midwest, but I'm not opposed to other parts of the country at this point. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in the SoCal area so any input would be great. thanks in advance.

i would loveee to know this as well and have found it hard to find on sdn!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never seen a list for something like this, but I imagine it might correlate with the programs housed within medical centers that have well-known cancer centers. So I'd think that places like MGH/BWH/BID, Duke, Michigan, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Stanford, UW, Sinai, UCSF, Wash U, UT, OSU, etc. would be on the list, as you'd be more likely to get good heme/onc exposure at thest places, know good heme/onc faculty who can write some letters for you, and be more likely to have done heme/onc research as a resident. This list is by no means exhaustive...I'm sure we can think of other places too...but it's a start I guess. But more than anything, I'd imagine it's important to go to the most reputable training program where you'd also be happy, as reputation and thus perceived quality of training seem to carry a lot of weight in this process.

For a list of the US comprehensive cancer centers, check out the NCCN site here: http://www.nccn.org/members/network.asp