Which IM subspecialties are the most resistant to midlevel encroachment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With NPs cathing patients, managing BMT floors, and scoping patients what specialties do you think won't get saturated in the next decade as NP schools continue to pump out more students? Do you see cases where there is less pressure for hospitals to hire MDs, leading to job saturation?if 2 MDs and 4NPs can do the work of 6 MDs why hire 6 MDs?

NP schools had 134,000 graduates in 2015 and around 200,000 graduates in 2019; for reference

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m a neuro resident, but from my observation, I say nephrology.

With NPs cathing patients and managing BMT floors what specialties do you think won't get saturated in the next decade as NP schools continue to pump out more students? Do you see cases where there is less pressure for hospitals to hire MDs, leading to job saturation?if 2 MDs and 4NPs can do the work of 6 MDs why hire 6 MDs?

NP schools had 134,000 graduates in 2015 and around 200,000 graduates in 2019; for reference

I wouldn't base your decision off this. I was at a major academic medical center that had midlevels 'managing BMT floors' and I cant tell you how many volume overloaded septic people I had to transfer to the ICU because their only reflex to hypotension was to transfuse criminal volumes of fluids on them. Couldnt find the BMT attending anywhere because they were too busy taking care of all the other patients I guess?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a neuro resident, but from my observation, I say nephrology.

NPs will not be replacing neuro, that's for sure. The MRI has already done that for us quite nicely.

@sallyhasanidea Do whatever you're interested in. Quite honestly, none of us knows. Where we thought there would be no encroachment, there has been plenty, and we can't see into the future.

Enough. You've asked a version of this question multiple times. As you can see, we're 4 posts in and the answers are...unsurprisingly...the same ones you've already gotten.

Closing.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.