Which interviews to go on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I applied widely to programs wondering what would happen but now I've gotten more than I will go on. I'm planning to interview at 10-12 (includes my current institution). I heard go to 3 reach programs, 5 mediocre programs, and 2 backup programs. Obvs my current institution is my backup.

It's tough to choose which ones are the reach and which ones are the middle because I don't want to make too many of the middle ones actually "reach" programs. What to do...

That being said, Emory or NYU? Duke or UCLA? Oregon or Utah?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a dilemma. I applied widely to programs wondering what would happen but now I've gotten more than I will go on. I'm planning to interview at 10-12 (includes my current institution). I heard go to 3 reach programs, 5 mediocre programs, and 2 backup programs. Obvs my current institution is my backup.

It's tough to choose which ones are the reach and which ones are the middle because I don't want to make too many of the middle ones actually "reach" programs. What to do...

Honestly, if I were in your shoes and trying to make those 3 decisions, I'd choose where I'd rather live. For me it would be NYU, Neither and Oregon although in retrospect I wish I'd at least interviewed at Utah (I'd probably still be where I am now but I've been hearing great things lately).

I agree with the poster above... its all about where you want to live! if it was me, I would probably lean towards NYU instead of Emory, NYC rocks! although I didn't love Bellvue hospital so much, but its definetly not bad though... the rep of NYU is pretty strong too!

Good luck on your decision keep us posted :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the above posters said, base it on where you want to live! Keep in mind that many residents end up staying at the same institution for fellowship, since you make connections during residency. You might end up in one place for 5+ years so take a good luck at the area.

With that being said, you should also look at the training environment since those programs vary. NYU is a county facility and residents are very independent (I remember them telling me they don't round with the attending every day when I interviewed there). Duke is very academic, formal and conservative. UCLA is also academic, but more informal and relaxed. I don't know much about Emory, Oregon, or Utah.

If you don't mind me asking, why would you want half your interviews to be from mediocre programs? If you're afraid of not matching, isn't that the point of the 2 backup programs? Plus, if any program has invited you for an interview, I wouldn't consider it a "reach". Replace the "mediocre" with "realistic, but solid" and that's a good guideline to follow.

I didn't mean mediocre as mediocre...I guess I meant places that I have a good shot at but not necessarily a shoe-in. Yes, I worry about getting in somewhere...I know I'll end up somewhere but I'd like to go the best place I can!

That being said...Cornell - worth it to interview or not?

I didn't mean mediocre as mediocre...I guess I meant places that I have a good shot at but not necessarily a shoe-in. Yes, I worry about getting in somewhere...I know I'll end up somewhere but I'd like to go the best place I can!

That being said...Cornell - worth it to interview or not?

Anyone else find this a little arrogant? I mean I can understand the original post and the original question. But who in their right minds wouldn't interview at Cornell if offerred? Ivy league medicine in a prime location.

I know there's always going to be people who get interviews at BWH, MGH, UCSF, etc. who will find Cornell beneath them. If you're only planning on interviewing at 10 places, there's probably 10 programs better than Cornell. But not yet having those invitations, why ask to interview at Cornell or not?

This is very troll-ish. :thumbdown:

Anyone else find this a little arrogant? I mean I can understand the original post and the original question. But who in their right minds wouldn't interview at Cornell if offerred? Ivy league medicine in a prime location.

I know there's always going to be people who get interviews at BWH, MGH, UCSF, etc. who will find Cornell beneath them. If you're only planning on interviewing at 10 places, there's probably 10 programs better than Cornell. But not yet having those invitations, why ask to interview at Cornell or not?

This is very troll-ish. :thumbdown:

I disagree.

I'm from the SE and wouldn't interview in NYC for any program besides Columbia and possibly Mt Sinai...just my personal preference and info gleaned by word of mouth. Same for Chicago...only plan to interview at UC and possibly Northwestern. I don't want to move to NYC just to live in NYC. I want to get the best training in the city (obviously a very subjective criteria) with the best fellowship potential when I'm finished. Having said that, there are equally great places in less expensive locales.

If you absolutely MUST live in NYC then obviously you're gonna jump at any invitation...and the reverse is true if you're just exploring your options across the country, which is what I presume NDESTRUKT is planning.

o i c, the op was just trying to get some inside knowledge on why cornell wouldn't be worth his time

...any program mentioned by the OP would have offended someone here. Sensitivities on this board are outta control...people wear their emotions on their avatar:rolleyes:

...any program mentioned by the OP would have offended someone here. Sensitivities on this board are outta control...people wear their emotions on their avatar:rolleyes:

one man's trash is another man's treasure. i'll take cornell if you don't want it!

guys, come on...i'm like the farthest thing from a troll.

black n decker is right - i've heard cornell may not have the best teaching and may be somewhat old school in terms of treating the residents. although it's research heavy and an awesome name, i want to make sure i enjoy my three years too!

arrogant? hardly, i sometimes wonder what i did right to be where i am today. i applied to over 20 programs because i was worried about the match! some people need to tone down the sensitivities here!

if anything, perhaps you convinced me to take it!

Not sure what your career goals are but if I was choosing between UCLA and Duke I would go to Duke. I enjoyed my interview day at both places but really felt like Duke was something pretty awesome. I left feeling like it would take a particular type of pretty hard core person to thrive at Duke but it seemed like the residents where excellent and your career goals would likely be met if you were leaning towards sub specialty training or research. UCLA is obviously a great program too, just less up my alley. really can't go wrong with either of these programs. I would recommend going on as many inteviews as you can particularly in the reach category as they may be different than you anticipate both in a positive and negative direction. trust the match, it works.