which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonPaul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the east coast...looking for a change and applied all over for IM to too many programs. I am not able to attend all of the interviews that involve flying ($$$) so I am trying to figure out which interviews are worth going to. Definitely going to those in Texas, which I am very much interested in but I am trying to figure out which of these I should check out : U Wisconsin, U Alabama, U Iowa, and Tulane so far. Any thoughts? Interested in GI if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the east coast...looking for a change and applied all over for IM to too many programs. I am not able to attend all of the interviews that involve flying ($$$) so I am trying to figure out which interviews are worth going to. Definitely going to those in Texas, which I am very much interested in but I am trying to figure out which of these I should check out : U Wisconsin, U Alabama, U Iowa, and Tulane so far. Any thoughts? Interested in GI if that makes a difference.

IMO, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Iowa are all worth checking out. I'm not a fan of NO.

Definitely need to see Wisconsin. Otherwise flip coins. I mean UAB is UAB, but Birmingham . . . yeah . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info on UAB...I was wondering whether to go or not too...don't mean to hijack but any ideas which interview to go to for the following:

Brown, UCLA-OV, UCLA-Harbor, Loma Linda, USC

I'm interested in GI. Thanks :)

Thanks guys! Is Alabama really that bad?? I have never been there...but it could potentially be an interesting place to check out

Thanks guys! Is Alabama really that bad?? I have never been there...but it could potentially be an interesting place to check out

You said you like Texas so we clearly have different opinions on what constitutes "bad" from a geographic perspective. It's a very good program so if you think you might like AB, go check it out.

thanks for the info on UAB...I was wondering whether to go or not too...don't mean to hijack but any ideas which interview to go to for the following:

Brown, UCLA-OV, UCLA-Harbor, Loma Linda, USC

I'm interested in GI. Thanks :)

You need to hit the formal university programs higher if you're interested in GI, and I'd saying Loma Linda and USC (both take their own), followed by Brown (simply because I don't have much of a sense how well they match GI) bump to the top.

No UAB is not "bad". It's very well respected both clinically and academically. You'll get good training and have great prospects for fellowship whether you stay at UAB or go elsewhere.

If you like the deep south, then no big deal, but if you're not from the deep south, it will be hard to talk yourself into going there.

I could use some help too, please. I was seconds away from cancelling an interview at Virginia Mason but thought I'd consult the SDN experts first.

Interested in Heme/Onc or primary care. Still crossing my fingers for invites at Colorado and OHSU.

Will interview at: Minnesota, Arizona, Wisconsin, Mayo (Scottsdale), Ohio St., Utah, New Mexico, Texas - San Antonio, Baylor (Houston)

Will likely cancel: Iowa (...maybe a little crazy to cancel, but I've been in
school at a terrible location for too long...Iowa City
isn't exactly appealing to me),
Legacy Emanuel (Portland), St. Joes and Maricopa
(Phoenix), and Exempla St. Joseph's (Colorado)

Still Debating cancelling: Virginia Mason, Banner Good Sam (Phoenix),
UN- Las Vegas, Providence Portland

I'd like to keep my total interviews to no more than 10-12. I would really appreciate any advice you may have!

I know UAB is a good program but I was talking about the state of Alabama. Especially coming from the northeast! It seems like all may be worth a look

I could use some help too, please. I was seconds away from cancelling an interview at Virginia Mason but thought I'd consult the SDN experts first.

Interested in Heme/Onc or primary care. Still crossing my fingers for invites at Colorado and OHSU.

Will interview at: Minnesota, Arizona, Wisconsin, Mayo (Scottsdale), Ohio St., Utah, New Mexico, Texas - San Antonio, Baylor (Houston)

I'd like to keep my total interviews to no more than 10-12. I would really appreciate any advice you may have!

Honestly, based on your current list, I'm just not sure how most of the programs you are considering canceling will jump up very high on your rank list. Keep Viginia Mason and Banner Good Sam (or Legacy Emanuel) as community program back-ups in nice locations - lose the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, based on your current list, I'm just not sure how most of the programs you are considering canceling will jump up very high on your rank list. Keep Viginia Mason and Banner Good Sam (or Legacy Emanuel) as community program back-ups in nice locations - lose the rest.

two cents on Providence Portland, Providence St. V, and Legacy Emanual?

I think I've gathered that the consensus is PP > Prov St. V >>> Legacy

Maybe if "gutonc" stumbles across this he could weigh in too. I appreciate it, as always

two cents on Providence Portland, Providence St. V, and Legacy Emanual?

I think I've gathered that the consensus is PP > Prov St. V >>> Legacy

Maybe if "gutonc" stumbles across this he could weigh in too. I appreciate it, as always

Oh. Yeah. I'm not as up on my community programs in Portland. Go with the better one.

Its been a long day - coming off a week of vacation, I'm the only critical care fellow on my first day in a new ICU with 32 patients who I all know just enough to be practically useless. I'm jet-lagged, think I'm coming down with something, and I spent WAY too much time today baby-sitting Renal's patients (do you just want a ****ing consult or what?)

I think you're nuts for canceling Iowa, that's still a program I regret not interviewing at. IC's a great town. The rest of them in that list are not worth your time given the rest of your interviews.

As for the rest of the places you've put up here, VM is the best of them, far outstripping the two Portland programs and the ones in AZ...I don't know enough about Exempla in Denver to comment.

To answer your question about community programs in Portland: Prov Portland >>St. V's>>>Emanuel.

How close to the interview date is it taboo to cancel? I have one coming up next monday, which I want to cancel (since I got another offer last night). Is it bad to cancel since it's so close?

How close to the interview date is it taboo to cancel? I have one coming up next monday, which I want to cancel (since I got another offer last night). Is it bad to cancel since it's so close?

Yes. 2 weeks is the general guideline for when it's appropriate to cancel. Obviously that won't always happen but 5 days is pretty uncool. Not saying you can't do it, just that you really shouldn't.

You need to hit the formal university programs higher if you're interested in GI, and I'd saying Loma Linda and USC (both take their own), followed by Brown (simply because I don't have much of a sense how well they match GI) bump to the top.

Thanks! Need more advice, which to attend:

Tuffs, BU, Wake, Temple, VCU, UMiami, UofArizona...

Since you can't spell it right, I'd suggest you drop Tufts... I just feel like your heart isn't in it

How many can you attend?

All those programs are more or less the same tier (we can argue about their relative rank within that tier) . . .

Hmmm, so I'd probably cut Miami (mostly because in my estimation has the lowest academic cojones) and Arizona because Tucson doesn't excite me (but it is a good program nonetheless). I think VCU and Wake are keepers because I think both programs are great. Tufts and BU . . . how bad do you want to go to Boston? It's expensive there :laugh:. Either way I like Tufts more than BU.

(spelling errors are easy to make)

Another question for the SDN experts.

Want to interview at a total of 10-11 places. I have certain ones that I will definitely attend but need to see which ones of these are actually worth a hard look:

UMaryland (Baltimore), Georgetown, George Wash, UKentucky, UFlorida.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Want to interview at a total of 10-11 places. I have certain ones that I will definitely attend but need to see which ones of these are actually worth a hard look:

Definitely Maryland

And I think Florida is kind of a diamond in the rough - Gainesville can be a deal breaker for people - worth checking out.

Nothing wrong with Kentucky

You can miss Georgetown and GW pretty easily assuming your other programs are "better".

Definitely, no, no, maybe, maybe. In that order.

How many can you attend?

All those programs are more or less the same tier (we can argue about their relative rank within that tier) . . .

Hmmm, so I'd probably cut Miami (mostly because in my estimation has the lowest academic cojones) and Arizona because Tucson doesn't excite me (but it is a good program nonetheless). I think VCU and Wake are keepers because I think both programs are great. Tufts and BU . . . how bad do you want to go to Boston? It's expensive there :laugh:. Either way I like Tufts more than BU.

Keep BU, VCU, Wake and Temple. Wholly underwhelmed by Tufts and Miami remains an unstable program (despite fantastic clinical exposure)

Definitely Maryland

And I think Florida is kind of a diamond in the rough - Gainesville can be a deal breaker for people - worth checking out.

Nothing wrong with Kentucky

You can miss Georgetown and GW pretty easily assuming your other programs are "better".

Wow.. just went back on Maryland's website after seeing these posts and I stumbled upon the 4 LoRs requirement. I re-checked all my other programs (19 others) and Maryland is the ONLY program to require 4 (3+chair letter). I only have 3 letters (including chair) and now I'm on mainly non-medicine electives that I can't really get letters from. Any ideas on what I should do?!:confused:

Wow.. just went back on Maryland's website after seeing these posts and I stumbled upon the 4 LoRs requirement. I re-checked all my other programs (19 others) and Maryland is the ONLY program to require 4 (3+chair letter). I only have 3 letters (including chair) and now I'm on mainly non-medicine electives that I can't really get letters from. Any ideas on what I should do?!:confused:

If they've asked you to interview, they probably don't care.

A lot of people are very high on this board about Maryland. It seems like a solid program, but is there anything in particular that makes this place super special?

A lot of people are very high on this board about Maryland. It seems like a solid program, but is there anything in particular that makes this place super special?

I'm interviewing there in December. I'd like to know too.

Nothing super special. But it sits in kind of a quality program desert and gets overlooked. I mean, ask UNC how much fun it is to sit in Duke's shadow, or BU and Tufts how awesome it is to be in the same neighborhood as MGH, I and BWH. Same basic deal. It is a solid program with good training and fellowship matches that gets ignored because it's down the road from Jesus' Heavenly Hospital. But it is a far better program than any other in the area (barring Bayview).

How many can you attend?

I say keep Wake definitely. I think VCU is worth a look +/- Tufts.

I would say definitely see maryland. I think it is a really underrated program with strong training. I really liked the program (I ranked it above MGH...)

Georgetown and GW I think have meh training. They are overshadowed by their Baltimore counterparts (UMD, JHH, JH-Bayview) and a lot of Va and DC stuff gets sent straight to baltimore without so much as a stop off at GT or GW.

I don't know too much about UF or Kentucky so I am plus/minus about those.

Good patient population, awesome program director, good training including a VA, good match list. Overall it is a very solid program. Plus it is in the very safe and beautiful city of Baltimore... Ok maybe kidding about the last sentence but baltimore isn't that bad (gonna be honest I kinda like it)

Thanks for the info on Maryland everyone. I will definitely check them out, the SDN stamp of approval is all that it takes for me. I hope I can find some good chowder.

Both...or neither. BU has the better reputation of the two but is also a pretty tough program in terms of the workload. I don't know much about Tufts.

Attendings that I've talked to who trained in Boston are pretty high on Tufts; higher than they are on BU. BU was described as "gritty"

Looking to cut down on my list, too - I have 17, and I'm looking to cut down to 14-15 (although if I get a few more in the same city, I'd likely go to those).

Haven't ruled out fellowship (probably in ID, if anything), but more likely primary care or hospitalist.

Penn State, University of Louisville, UArizona, Indiana, University of South Florida, St. Joseph Phoenix, Maricopa - Phoenix, Banner Good Sam (Phoenix), Mayo Scottsdale, MCW, Lutheran General (Chicago), St. Vincent's (Indianapolis), Birmingham Baptist, East Carolina, Kaiser -Santa Clara, Greenville SC, Legacy Emanuel.

Going on all of the Arizona interviews, MCW and Lutheran, Kaiser, Louisville, Indiana, and St. Vincent's. Any thoughts on the others?

Thinking GI, Heme Onc or Hospitalist - location doesn't matter much for now.

What are thoughts on where I should go out of these I've received:

USF, UF-Gainesville, U Miami, Scott and White, UT-Houston, SLU, USC, Tulane, San Antonio, Harbor-UCLA, UC-Irvine, U Washington, Emory, Med Coll Georgia, UC-San Diego

I know I could group interviews by location and go on a lot, but the schedules at some of these places doesn't allow that with my rotations during these months

Thanks!

Hey guys, just want to get an opinion on which programs to give the strongest look at as I finalize travel plans. Sort of between cardiology and GI right now.

UT-Houston, A&M (Scott/White), UT-San Antonio, Baylor, Methodist (Houston), UT southwstern, Medical college of georgia, mercer, UF gainesville, UF Jacksonville, University of Tennessee, Mayo at rochester, and Rush.

Probably going to go to all of these at the moment, unless a few others come up I'd rather go to, but I'm a bit unsure of how great the san antonio and tennessee programs are?

Thanks!

Hey guys, just want to get an opinion on which programs to give the strongest look at as I finalize travel plans. Sort of between cardiology and GI right now.

UT-Houston, A&M (Scott/White), UT-San Antonio, Baylor, Methodist (Houston), UT southwstern, Medical college of georgia, mercer, UF gainesville, UF Jacksonville, University of Tennessee, Mayo at rochester, and Rush.

Probably going to go to all of these at the moment, unless a few others come up I'd rather go to, but I'm a bit unsure of how great the san antonio and tennessee programs are?

Thanks!

Friends don't let friends go to UTSW. MCG and Mercer are far and away the weakest programs on your list (followed IMHO by Rush but that's up for debate). If you're going to ditch a couple, don't bother with Georgia.

Friends don't let friends go to UTSW. MCG and Mercer are far and away the weakest programs on your list (followed IMHO by Rush but that's up for debate). If you're going to ditch a couple, don't bother with Georgia.

lol, why is this? I thought SW was a descent program :)

lol, why is this? I thought SW was a descent program :)

A descent into hell? Absolutely. Although perhaps you meant "decent."

Anyhoo...UTSW is a great institution. Tons of research money, great faculty, amazing pathology and (this is where it gets super awesome for the fresh intern meat) one of the busiest, most under-resourced hospitals in the history of the Western world (Parkland) where you will spend the bulk of your time at UTSW. If working at the "countiest of county" hospitals floats your boat, go nuts. Most people have endured enough abuse by the end of their OB or Surgery clerkships to not want to make an entire residency out of it though.