which interviews to go on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello! i need help sorting out these programs...

BU vs. Tufts?
Bayview vs. U maryland
georgetown vs. GW?

also, i heard st. luke's roosevelt is almost comparable to university programs? but I see that it's mostly FMGs? any advice as to St. Luke's vs. jacobi vs. beth israel (AECOM)

Thanks.

hello! i need help sorting out these programs...

BU vs. Tufts?
Bayview vs. U maryland
georgetown vs. GW?

also, i heard st. luke's roosevelt is almost comparable to university programs? but I see that it's mostly FMGs? any advice as to St. Luke's vs. jacobi vs. beth israel (AECOM)

Thanks.

Bayview>/= UMD
Tufts>BU
Georgetown>GW

Overall Bayview>UMD>Tufts>BU>GT>GW

Members don't see this ad :)
Interested in both competitive and non-competitive fellowships. Which two programs to cancel?

Brown
Case Western
Emory
Baylor Houston
UVA
Colorado

I am thinking it is Brown and Case Western but am uncertain.

Thanks in advance!

Interested in both competitive and non-competitive fellowships. Which two programs to cancel?

Brown
Case Western
Emory
Baylor Houston
UVA
Colorado

Thanks in advance!

Those are the 2 I would cancel. I go to school in Ohio, and everyone at my school said that they were very impressed with Case Western. I have the same interviews minus colorado and if I have to drop any it would probably be Brown or Case.

I didn't give any! :laugh:

You didn't answer my question.

:laugh: Sometimes an eye opener is all ya need. Go east isn't mandatory, but I would like the opportunity to check out the programs :) I'm just hoping for 1-2 more invites and I think I will be content.

Brown
Case Western
Emory
Baylor Houston
UVA
Colorado

Thanks in advance!

Based on rep alone cut Case and Brown (both are still nice programs)

Though if it were me . . . Depending on what I already had on my list, I might cut Emory and real Baylor.

Based on rep alone cut Case and Brown (both are still nice programs)

Though if it were me . . . Depending on what I already had on my list, I might cut Emory and real Baylor.

I plan on attending the following below.

UVA
Mayo Rochester
UAB
Wisconsin
UNC
Duke
UCSD
WashU
UTSW
Cornell

I am on the fence about Emory, Baylor, Brown, Case, and Colorado.

Would like to attend 13-15. Still hoprfully waiting on a few other programs.

Now which programs to cancel?

I plan on attending the following below.

UVA
Mayo Rochester
UAB
Wisconsin
UNC
Duke
UCSD
WashU
UTSW
Cornell

I am on the fence about Emory, Baylor, Brown, Case, and Colorado.

Would like to attend 13-15. Still hoprfully waiting on a few other programs.

Now which programs to cancel?

I'd hit Colorado and Brown personally (but I hate the South). Good arguments could be made for keeping any of them but Colorado and Emory are probably the two "best" programs in that group.

I'd hit Colorado and Brown personally (but I hate the South). Good arguments could be made for keeping any of them but Colorado and Emory are probably the two "best" programs in that group.

I kind of agree.

Houston and Atlanta don't excite me at all.

And based on the list going to Case would probably waste the applicant and the programs time as I don't think they'd ever rank high enough on a list to matter.

This is not so much to ask what interviews to go to, as I plan to attend all of them, but rather an inquiry about how you would arrange this list in terms of preference. I realize it will be influenced by anecdotal experience, and perhaps words of people you might know, but it is exactly these experiences and thoughts that matters most:

University of Arkansas -
U of Arizona
U New Mexico
Cleveland Clinic
U Minnesota
George Washington U

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to cancel 2 of the following 4 interviews:
Albert Einstein - Jacobi
Tufts
Drexel
GWU

I was thinking I would cancel Drexel and GWU. Any thoughts? Also any thoughts on Jacobi's program in particular? I went to their website to find out more about their residents, but that part of their site is under construction.

BTW I'm considering GI or pulm/CC.

This is not so much to ask what interviews to go to, as I plan to attend all of them, but rather an inquiry about how you would arrange this list in terms of preference. I realize it will be influenced by anecdotal experience, and perhaps words of people you might know, but it is exactly these experiences and thoughts that matters most:

University of Arkansas -
U of Arizona
U New Mexico
Cleveland Clinic
U Minnesota
George Washington U

Minnesota
Arizona
CCF
NM
Arkansas
GW

Minnesota
Arizona
CCF
NM
Arkansas
GW

Wow JDH, Minn & Arizona over CCF!

I am interviewing at Minnesota also, agree I have heard very good things about the program.

I am interviewing at Minnesota also, agree I have heard very good things about the program.

I just interviewed at UofM and was VERY impressed.

I've never been very impressed with CCF. They are one of those private places where people with lots of money or good insurance can go can get stuff done by the "best" technology, but that doesn't translate into having a good medicine program. In fact, I suspect that they're "academic" moreso that their staff can have cheap labor doing all the heavy lifting on the paper-work and scut side of things, while they bring in money. They're good for fellowship (some), but not for residency. My opinion.

JDH71,

I wholeheartedly agree after reading lots of great stuff from different experiences.

DrRockStar,

If you are to think about what impressed you most about UMinn, what would you say?

Assuming that I only get ~1 more interview or so, here is what I am thinking:

Definitely Attending:
1. Mayo
2. Wisconsin
3. Baylor
4. Emory
5. UAB
6. UVa
7. OSU
8. Case
9. Iowa
10. UIC
11. Rush
12. U Chicago Northshore

Which of these 5 should I go on? Maybe even 3...
1. Brown
2. Dartmouth
3. Scripps Green
4. UC Irvine
5. USC
6. Loma Linda
7. Maryland
8. Utah
9. CCF
10. Cincinnati
11. MUSC
12. MCOW
13. AECOM
14. USF

JDH71,

I wholeheartedly agree after reading lots of great stuff from different experiences.

DrRockStar,

If you are to think about what impressed you most about UMinn, what would you say?

Without giving an exhaustive review right now, I'll basically tell you that the only thing in my negative column is "weather."

Seriously. It's no joke. Winter = uninhabitable frozen tundra = ~7 months

Otherwise, positives include it all. You name it......PD, resident happiness, "family friendly," fellowship placement, facilities, training sites (including the U, an apparently award-winning VA touted as being #1 in the country, and a county hospital, 'Regions'), ....impressive BMT and solid organ transplant if that toots your horn at all

Oh....and SKOL VIKINGS!! ....anyone?

I'd move UNM above AZ but otherwise agree.

I've heard a lot of love for AZ and very little about UNM. Anything to add? I'm planning on interviewing at both.

I'd move UNM above AZ but otherwise agree.

I am having a hard time understanding how AZ is placed above CCF? Granted I have not yet interviewed at either but aren't they in completely different leagues?

DrRockStar,

I will take a rain check on your detailed review, but for now I find what you have provided to be very positive.

Kunfu,

from what I have heard (and I have been hearing this from lots of different sources): Any reasonably good university-based program will definitely be a better choice than CCF.

You definitely want to do your fellowship in CC, but do you want to be trained in internal medicine there? I heard that no, not so much

I am having a hard time understanding how AZ is placed above CCF? Granted I have not yet interviewed at either but aren't they in completely different leagues?

Same league, different conferences...Cleveland is in the AFC North and Arizona is in the NFC West.

But no. They're not. See jdh71s post above for a succinct synopsis of the general opinion about CCF.

A friend of mine is a chief resident at one of the UCs. The dude interviewed at CCF, and he said it is indeed a five star hotel hospital built with Saudi oil, and its dazzling, but the truth is that internal medicine residency teaching is not on par with the University Programs. But you definitely want to do your fellowship there.

A friend of mine is a chief resident at one of the UCs. The dude interviewed at CCF, and he said it is indeed a five star hotel hospital built with Saudi oil, and its dazzling, but the truth is that internal medicine residency teaching is not on par with the University Programs. But you definitely want to do your fellowship there.

Makes me really want to go on the interview just to check out the place. To see what I might have to look forward to for cards fellowship. Do you get to see all the cards facilities on the tour? Is it worth going on interview for this?

Makes me really want to go on the interview just to check out the place. To see what I might have to look forward to for cards fellowship. Do you get to see all the cards facilities on the tour? Is it worth going on interview for this?

No. That's what the cards fellowship interview is for.

Yes. You should trust yourself to be able to form a reasonable opinion based upon what you see in person, what you read on their website, what you read on the FREIDA and the ACGME websites, and what you read in a forum on the internet. Glancing above, I see Arizona, Brown above CCF. If you're interested in fellowships, take a look at their various fellowship placements (AZ, CC, Brown).

Go, let the program put its best face forward, ask your questions, take a look at the evidence, make your conclusion.

I love the Internet.:rolleyes:

Which of these 5 should I go on? Maybe even 3...
1. Brown
2. Dartmouth
3. Scripps Green
4. UC Irvine
5. USC
6. Loma Linda
7. Maryland
8. Utah
9. CCF
10. Cincinnati
11. MUSC
12. MCOW
13. AECOM
14. USF

You should go to MCOW because they are easy driving distance regardless, as long as the date isn't inconvenient.

Other places I like on that list . . .

Brown
Dartmouth
USC
Maryland
Utah
MUSC

The definite check-outs on that list IMHO . . .

Maryland
Utah
MUSC

Hope that helps.

California has a great weather (duh) lol so I might be seeing Irvine if I were you. Its SoCal ..you have CalTech within driving distance, and could attend all of the TED stuff while there!!!! :D

I also have UNM and U Arizona, and was fortunate enough to book a southwest flight that is direct, and for 35 dollars :D :D :D

I will definitely be seeing both institutions, I love the hispanic culture, and I speak spanish fluently, so that would be great to blend in in the community.

Also, my understanding is that both universities are highly respected.

Nevertheless, U Minnesota is so far my ultimate star (or Etoile Du Nord as they call the state :p)

Really only Cards and GI are standout.

Their pulm/crit is really good, but you need to be looking for that kind of experience (I like enough transplant to be competent, but I'm not interested in baby-sitting these patients for 3 years)

@JDH,

Perhaps Nephrology too. I know nothing about Pulm/Onc (I am buying the ICU book for my internship though :)

Yes. You should trust yourself to be able to form a reasonable opinion based upon what you see in person, what you read on their website, what you read on the FREIDA and the ACGME websites, and what you read in a forum on the internet. Glancing above, I see Arizona, Brown above CCF. If you're interested in fellowships, take a look at their various fellowship placements (AZ, CC, Brown).

Go, let the program put its best face forward, ask your questions, take a look at the evidence, make your conclusion.

Yeah. It's all sage advice. And largely correct.

But when the rubber meets the road, and platitudes and ideals hit the pragmatism of needing to cut programs . . . see AZ and Brown before CCF - every - single - time.

You'll notice how many fellows from CCF itself made it into their world-famous cardiology program . . . Nice to see GI is loyal. And an interest in GI might be a factor is checking them out over somewhere else. Brown matches great. No clue where Arizona is sending people but it looks like plenty of the class is finding fellowship placement.

California has a great weather (duh) lol so I might be seeing Irvine if I were you. Its SoCal ..you have CalTech within driving distance, and could attend all of the TED stuff while there!!!! :D

Who cares about that stuff. There's this AMAZING lebanese restaurant close by over in long beach that is so good, I'd almost consider training at UC-I for the regular access to the food alone.

;)

Shoot, I forgot to mention the lebanese joint in my previous post

I also have UNM and U Arizona, and was fortunate enough to book a southwest flight that is direct, and for 35 dollars :D :D :D

I will definitely be seeing both institutions, I love the hispanic culture, and I speak spanish fluently, so that would be great to blend in in the community.

Also, my understanding is that both universities are highly respected.

Nevertheless, U Minnesota is so far my ultimate star (or Etoile Du Nord as they call the state :p)

I also like the desert SW. I don't care much for al-bee-Q, but I've heard it grows on you. Being able to see mountains on the regular would make me happy. NM is a program I've been hearing more and more about in the last few years, which means they might be doing something right.

Over they years, I have noticed that the (location) was of the utmost importance for lots of rankers. I noticed that Scholarly value and academic reputation is really on equal foot with some folks preferences on where they want to live ... Hence my California comment :)

I decided to keep my interviews at U Wisconsin, UAB, the texas programs (A&M, san antonio, UTH), Tulane (hear great things about the PD and if anything it will be a nice opportunity to check out new orleans) and U Maryland. I didnt officially cancel Iowa yet, but I think due to my decreasing funds that is going to be the one to go. I also have one at Wake Forest that I also may cancel. Seem like a good plan?

Booo for tulane, they are only accepting applications from LCME accredited schools this year!! They have always accepted IMGs applications. why the No-Love (all of a sudden)

@JDH,

Perhaps Nephrology too. I know nothing about Pulm/Onc (I am buying the ICU book for my internship though :)

As a pulm/crit guy, all I want the nephro guys to do is pull fluid when I ask. I'm sure there is MUCH more the nephrology than my thick barbarian skull can handle. I have no clue where the gods of nephrology live or where the awesome programs are, other than the matches from my old shop to Vandy - apparently pretty damn good renal at Vandy.