Which iPAD is best for medical school note taking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainZeki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall
I am looking to purchase an IPAD for medical school (incoming MS1) and wanted to know if a 32GB IPAD 7th gen enough storage space for note-taking?
Here are my options:
IPAD AIR 64 GB
OR
IPAD 7TH gen 32 GB
OR
IPAD 7TH Gen 128GB?

And yes I will be purchasing the Apple Pen with it. I am planning to create a new Apple ID account for the iPAD and will only use it for med school/note-taking.

Thanks for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi yall
I am looking to purchase an IPAD for medical school (incoming MS1) and wanted to know if a 32GB IPAD 7th gen enough storage space for note-taking?
Here are my options:
IPAD AIR 64 GB
OR
IPAD 7TH gen 32 GB
OR
IPAD 7TH Gen 128GB?

And yes I will be purchasing the Apple Pen with it. I am planning to create a new Apple ID account for the iPAD and will only use it for med school/note-taking.

Thanks for your responses!
Most people use cloud storage for their notes so it shouldn't matter much

Reactions: 1 user
id go 64 GB or 128 GB because im awful about filling all my devices up. Even with the cloud...

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people use cloud storage for their notes so it shouldn't matter much

Awesome! I plan on doing the same.
If storage doesn’t matter then I’ll opt for the cheapest version (7th gen with 32GB)

Let me add that the program notability is amazing. You can sync it up to your laptop and phone.

the search feature is amazing too.You can search every single power point at once

Reactions: 1 users
Let me add that the program notability is amazing. You can sync it up to your laptop and phone.

the search feature is amazing too.You can search every single power point at once

Notability will not work on non-iOS devices correct?
I have an iPAD and a non-Apple computer and am thinking to use OneNote as you can use them on both devices.

Notability will not work on non-iOS devices correct?
I have an iPAD and a non-Apple computer and am thinking to use OneNote as you can use them on both devices.
I have this set up and sync notability to onedrive. It can also sync to google drive, or you can use OneNote

I have this set up and sync notability to onedrive. It can also sync to google drive, or you can use OneNote

I did Not know you can sync notability to OneDrive. Will all my notes from Notability appear on OneDrive as is?

Yo, @HtownNittanyLion. I'm deciding between a 64 gb or the larger ones rn. Did you pick yet?

32GB. Was told by many that you won’t need a large storage space and that you will still have access to Google Drive or OneNote depending on which your school uses.
I’m getting 7th gen with apple pen.

I have the iPad/PC split, and it’s never been an issue. Worst case if I really need my notes on my PC, I upload to Google Drive.

I recommend spending the extra money on the larger storage space device. There are other great apps for the iPad that make it the best device for med school aside from note taking apps. If you decide to use Anki, the iPad app downloads your deck to the device so you can use it if you don’t have Internet service. Same with the Amboss app if you want to do practice questions on the go. There’s a really good Anatomy 360 app that doesn’t use an internet connection. Etc.

I’ve brought my iPad with me lots of places to maximize study time, and I don’t always have internet. Long car rides, airplanes, and standing in long lines at a store come to mind.

I did Not know you can sync notability to OneDrive. Will all my notes from Notability appear on OneDrive as is?
All I did when I set up notability was choose onedrive in the sync settings, however, I just went to onedrive and looked at my files. They appear to be backup files and not full formatted files. I do know that it does send the files as is to google drive though, and you can choose to export any file as a pdf should you need to open it with a laptop.

I have the iPad/PC split, and it’s never been an issue. Worst case if I really need my notes on my PC, I upload to Google Drive.

I recommend spending the extra money on the larger storage space device. There are other great apps for the iPad that make it the best device for med school aside from note taking apps. If you decide to use Anki, the iPad app downloads your deck to the device so you can use it if you don’t have Internet service. Same with the Amboss app if you want to do practice questions on the go. There’s a really good Anatomy 360 app that doesn’t use an internet connection. Etc.

I’ve brought my iPad with me lots of places to maximize study time, and I don’t always have internet. Long car rides, airplanes, and standing in long lines at a store come to mind.

Is 32GB not enough?

Depends how many Anki cards and other things you want

I was thinking to create a new Apple ID and only have the necessary apps (anatomy, Anki, OneNote, google drive). What storage space would be better?

I was thinking to create a new Apple ID and only have the necessary apps (anatomy, Anki, OneNote, google drive). What storage space would be better?
I have 35k cards on Anki plus other essential apps (Notability, Aquifer, Netflix, etc.) and haven't had any issues with storage. Granted I have a 32gb with a 50gb iCloud subscription ($1/mo); together I have 6gb free on the iPad and 20gb free on iCloud. I have found that the storage to be plenty and iCloud has been convenient for syncing across iPad and iPhone.

I have 35k cards on Anki plus other essential apps (Notability, Aquifer, Netflix, etc.) and haven't had any issues with storage. Granted I have a 32gb with a 50gb iCloud subscription ($1/mo); together I have 6gb free on the iPad and 20gb free on iCloud. I have found that the storage to be plenty and iCloud has been convenient for syncing across iPad and iPhone.

Thank you! I think I will still
Opt for the 32GB ipad

32 GB wasn’t enough for me. I have the 200+ one (I forget the actual number) and I’m over 32 GB on it