Which is better - UMDNJ Newark or SUNY Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosfet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering what's a better program in terms of quality of education, research, call schedule, fellowship opportunities, etc.... Also how do these 2 programs compare to the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Program? I was also told that the Newark surgery program is under probation....can someone clarify that??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I was wondering what's a better program in terms of quality of education, research, call schedule, fellowship opportunities, etc.... Also how do these 2 programs compare to the North Shore-Long Island Jewish Program? I was also told that the Newark surgery program is under probation....can someone clarify that??

Thanks

There is nothing official on the ACGME website; they have accreditatation until June 2011: http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

The site used to list programs on probation but I can't find the link anymore.

LOTS of trauma in Buffalo and Newark, in fact Buffalo has NYS busiest trauma center (Erie County Medical Center), in fact 1000+ cases/year busier than NYC's busiest trauma center (Jacobi). I don't know about Newark's numbers but a super trauma program from what I'm told. A friend of mine finished his residency in Buffalo and loved the program- need to love the snow though! If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/99-02_trauma_report.pdf

I went to med school there and I can tell u the surgery program is fantastic....especially the residents - they are definately a ton of fun!! Also, I think the new chairman, Dr Dayton (who is loved by everybody in the surgery sommunity) is really making Buffalo a great spot to be. Oh yeah, don't be scared about the trauma either- not all that bad at all!! I would have loved to stayed... but social issues brought me elsewhere...feel free to contact me with questions