which is better???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye dude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I need your advice I am really lost,,,:scared:

1st of all I would like to know which is better if I didnt match , doing prelim year or doing a research for a year ?

2nd thing what do prog directors prefer prelim surgery or prelim medicine?:confused:

3rd do anybody have any thoughts about Geroge Washington prog?

Members don't see this ad.

Hellooooooooooooooo anybody home :(

i would opt for a year of research. a prelim year might show a lack of dedication to ophtho. it doesnt matter what pre-lim you do, but I'd say medicine is preferable. a surgery prelim doesn't really get to do surgery and besides the ophtho surgeries are very different in general that what you'll get exposed to as a prelim surg. a lot of systemic problems manifest in the eyes. im in the icu right now and we have a patient with candidemia and we consulted ophtho the other day to r/o an endophthalmitis and guess what - the guy had one. also you will have matched already, so a program directors opinion is somewhat irrelevant at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there's really a right answer to your questions. While what vtrain said is true that a research year will do more to help you get a spot in the next match, I'll just point out one thing on the other side. If you do a prelim year (I don't think it matters if you do medicine, surgery, or a true TY), you have that hurdle out of the way. If someone leaves a PGYII spot, you would be eligible to step into it immediately. If you're doing research, you won't have that option. Granted, it's a longshot, but I've seen it happen. Also, try to do your PGYI year at a place that has an ophtho department that you could work with, either on rotations or in research on the side.

aha I see ,,,thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it :D

just one last thing how can I apply for research ? and what are the programs that usually offer research spots?? :confused:

Here is a reason for doing your prelim year right away. If you look carefully, there are vacancies (both advertised and unadvertised) that come up all the time. There are a handful of folks who change their mind during their internship and feel that ophthalmology is not right for them. That leaves a vacancy for July. If you are doing your pre-lim year and the spot opens up, you can apply, interview, and get your spot. It is a longshot, but it keeps more doors open.

Here is a reason for doing your prelim year right away. If you look carefully, there are vacancies (both advertised and unadvertised) that come up all the time. There are a handful of folks who change their mind during their internship and feel that ophthalmology is not right for them. That leaves a vacancy for July. If you are doing your pre-lim year and the spot opens up, you can apply, interview, and get your spot. It is a longshot, but it keeps more doors open.

Thanks for your advice :)

Here is a reason for doing your prelim year right away. If you look carefully, there are vacancies (both advertised and unadvertised) that come up all the time. .

Thanks for the post - and how exactly is one supposed to find unadvertised vacancies? I mean, word of mouth from other residents, or what?