which is better???

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by eye dude, Dec 25, 2008.

1. eye dude

2+ Year Member

Hi guys I need your advice I am really lost,,,:scared:

1st of all I would like to know which is better if I didnt match , doing prelim year or doing a research for a year ?

2nd thing what do prog directors prefer prelim surgery or prelim medicine?:confused:

3rd do anybody have any thoughts about Geroge Washington prog?

2. OP
    OP
    eye dude

2+ Year Member

Hellooooooooooooooo anybody home :(

3. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i would opt for a year of research. a prelim year might show a lack of dedication to ophtho. it doesnt matter what pre-lim you do, but I'd say medicine is preferable. a surgery prelim doesn't really get to do surgery and besides the ophtho surgeries are very different in general that what you'll get exposed to as a prelim surg. a lot of systemic problems manifest in the eyes. im in the icu right now and we have a patient with candidemia and we consulted ophtho the other day to r/o an endophthalmitis and guess what - the guy had one. also you will have matched already, so a program directors opinion is somewhat irrelevant at that point.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wolverine98

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't think there's really a right answer to your questions. While what vtrain said is true that a research year will do more to help you get a spot in the next match, I'll just point out one thing on the other side. If you do a prelim year (I don't think it matters if you do medicine, surgery, or a true TY), you have that hurdle out of the way. If someone leaves a PGYII spot, you would be eligible to step into it immediately. If you're doing research, you won't have that option. Granted, it's a longshot, but I've seen it happen. Also, try to do your PGYI year at a place that has an ophtho department that you could work with, either on rotations or in research on the side.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. OP
    OP
    eye dude

2+ Year Member

aha I see ,,,thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it :D

just one last thing how can I apply for research ? and what are the programs that usually offer research spots?? :confused:

6. last_minute

last_minute New Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here is a reason for doing your prelim year right away. If you look carefully, there are vacancies (both advertised and unadvertised) that come up all the time. There are a handful of folks who change their mind during their internship and feel that ophthalmology is not right for them. That leaves a vacancy for July. If you are doing your pre-lim year and the spot opens up, you can apply, interview, and get your spot. It is a longshot, but it keeps more doors open.

7. OP
    OP
    eye dude

2+ Year Member

Thanks for your advice :)

8. anzq

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the post - and how exactly is one supposed to find unadvertised vacancies? I mean, word of mouth from other residents, or what?