Which is easier DO or MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beckie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am wondering which one is easier not academically but hours put it. I have a daughter and I want to spend as much time as I can with her so I am wondering which one is more family friendly, DO or MD?

Also does anyone know which residencies are easier, as in hours worked, I mean DO residencies or MD residencies, particularly Diagnostic Radiology?

Thank you so much for the info.

Take care,
Beckie:)

Members don't see this ad.

It's basically the same curriculum except DO's also get trained in OMT and usually take both the Comlex and the USMLE boards. So DO's usually do more.

If you're serious about this, any medical school is going to take a lot of time and commitment. So ask yourself if you want to make that sacrifice. There are a lot of people in medical school with kids, so it can be done. But you're asking the wrong question and I wouldn't be surprised if you get flamed. Medical school isn't easy.

Hey Thanks for the info.

I had a feeling that I might get flamed but I took a risk anyway. How else am I going to find out the answer if I don't ask. Not everyone is going to like everything I ask or say for that matter, but I hope someone can tell me the logistics of everything. I really need to know because I am a single mom and I don't want my daughter ending up in juvenile hall because I didn't have enough time for her, etc. I don't want to jump in blindly.

Thanks

Take care,
Beckie

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that many DO schools spend a lot of time in class. This is probably due to the extra OMM class. Really though, both types of schools would be difficult.

As far as residency, I would think DO and MD would be the same.

Your question is a little broad ... and clumping all DO and MD schools together is also a bad idea

each school is unique. Some may have mandatory attendance. Some may have mandatory attendance on paper, yet relax in enforcement. Others may make attendance in OMM lab the only required component. OMM is only 1.5-3hrs/week

Some schools are known for long lecture hours. Others have lectures taped and available on the internet. During 3rd/4th year rotation, some may make you move out of state frequently, while others you can relatively stay in one place.

There are 125 MD schools and 20+ (branch campuses!?!) DO schools - so neither I nor anyone can say "yeah, DO is easier in terms of hours OR MD school is easier" - each school differ from one another.

Also, it's not the "official" hours that makes it hard. On paper, med school looks like your typical job - you leave home in the morning and come home in the late afternoon. But it's the hours you put in off-hours - studying in anatomy lab, reviewing class notes, studying for an upcoming test, participation in extracurricular groups, etc. that will take a big bite out of your time.

It's possible as a single parent to survive the first two years of med school. I've seen it. However, you must plan ahead - especially for the 3rd and 4th year rotations (and internship/residency).

that's my input

how can anyone answer this question? Its not like someone with an allopathic degree is going to go back to an osteo school, and vice versa. Even if they did, they'd have prior knowledge from the previous degree and it would be markedly easier for them. This question is an exercise in insanity.

Originally posted by (nicedream)
It sounds like LECOM's ISP program would be perfect for you. This is an independent study pathway - check out the details here: http://www.lecom.edu/academics/isp.htm.

I agree with this. Many schools have alternate curricular tracks that seem to be more family friendly (i.e. less time in class). Schools that I know of are LECOM with PBL and the afore mentioned ISP, OUCOM with it's PCC program, and WVSOM with it's PBL program. I am sure that there are others. Although some allopathic programs have these types of programs as well. I know Ohio State has the an independent study track, a problem based track, and a traditional track much as LECOM does. Don't get me wrong there will be long hours put in despite what you decide, but it seems that these alternate curriculum options offer the chance to get out of spending all your time in class. Also I have read a number of posts on here that many students don't attend class all of the time because they feel they are better served to stay home and study.

Thank you everyone
There are some options out there that I had no idea about. I'm so glad I asked this question.

Thank you all for helping me.

Take care,
Beckie

Beckie,

DO schools definitely seem to be very family friendly on the whole. Of course, some allopathic schools are too--Michigan State is one I've heard is quite understanding--but on the whole, DO schools tend to have more older students with children, and so cater to that crowd a bit more.

Here at AZCOM we have *many* students with kids. The on-campus housing is very family friendly, with a playground, gated community and pool, and what seems to be a great family organization. It seems sometimes as if there are more children than students.

Good luck with your search!

Hi
Thanks for providing that information also. I used to live in Arizona and I loved it. I have thought many times about moving back there. It is such a great place to live. I grew up there and I still have some family that lives out there, so I come down there at least 3 times a year.

Thanks,
Take care,
Beckie

although i don't have any kids.. woman to woman - i have to say that i sympathize with your dreams to have a career and be a good mother too. i will be starting pcsom in the fall (class of 2008) but one day i hope to have children too. fortunatly for me i can get a few years in before having kids, but i just want to tell you - IT CAN BE DONE. I know of one girl who goes to univ of ky med school and she had a kid like during her first year, however she is married so she probably had some help from her husband, but to my knowledge i think she relied a lot on family (because her husband worked too.) unfortantly colleges don't try to help women by giving us any choices (i.e. providing daycares, etc.) but i am sure that you will qualify for lots of federal aid since you would be a single parent and a med school student. i just want to encourage rather than discourage you. i am sick of ppl telling women it can't be done or it shouldn't be done. (maybe this is just the radical feminist in me) but i think it's time women are given more choices and better opportunites. really look into your options - what kind of financial aid and how much you can get, can you apply to schools that are both close to your family AND are close to good but affordable daycares? you won't be able to do it alone, and it will be hard, but don't give up on your career dreams. you need to also demonstrate to your kid that it's important to work hard and strive for a career in addition to all those wonderful things i'm sure you already teach him or her.

as far as the DO - MD thing......... it's all hard.... gross anatomy is still gross anatomy no matter where you take it - you have to learn it... you choice as to whether you want to be an md or do should be based on your own medical beliefs/philosophy since the two are different even though they ultimately have similar goals.

Hey Becky, it's nice to see some other moms over here :)

First off, have you been to www.mommd.com yet? If not, go!

I am a mother of 2 young girls (ages 5 and 2) and am doing pre-req's full time, and doing well without sacrificing time away from my kids. I basically am a SAHM by day and a full time student/study maniac by night....lol

I plan on starting medical school (fingers crossed) in 3 years, that way my youngest will be 5 and ready for school all day. I think it will just be easier that way. Once I start my residency my husband will either quit his job or just work part time to help take care of the kids more (take them to school, etc), and I wont feel so guilty (I am the type who has a lot of mama guilt about stuff).

Anyways, I am ovioualy not in med school just yet. But a high priority for me and my family IS to find a med school that is at least somewhat family friendly. I have heard DO schools overall fit that bill more so that MD schools. I have heard that Arizonas school is pretty family friendly as well as OSU (here in oklahoma) and some others.

How old will your daughter be once you finish your bachelors and hope to start med school?

PM me if you want to talk some more and definatly check out www.mommd.com We are all moms over there and you will get some great advice, etc

MamaMD

It seems sometimes as if there are more children than students.
:laugh:
like you, i'm risking a flame, but you might look into PA programs. they don't require the pre-med load, it's half the schooling, and you more/less get to do the same in the end. If you are set on being a physician, it is possible...but it is also really hard to look at your kids after 9 mo. and realized how much they've changed.

Lolablue-
Thank you for your kind encouraging words. It is so nice to hear those things. I need to print up what you said and pin it up on my wall and read it whenever I get discouraged. I really needed that. It's so nice to have support like that.

Thank you!

Hi mamaMD
Yes I do belong to MomMD and I love it! I love the support over there as well. Thanks!

My daughter is also 2 years old right now and when I'm done with my prereqs and hopefully getting into medical school, she will be in Kindergarten so it will work out beautifully. I have thought about all that also. That is so cool that we are going to be starting around the same time.

I work part-time, full-time school, etc. Sometimes I wish I could quit my job but I need it for extra money and emergencies. I work from home so that really does help out a lot!

Thanks for helping.

Take care,
Beckie

I agree that DO schools have more families and therefore more of a support system for students with families. I know my school does have free time in the day that I will use as study time so I can have some free time with my family in the evening. We don't go all days 8-5, so on the days that classes end at noon, I can have 5 hours to study before I get home. I intend to treat it like a 8-5 job. Now of course I will have to study in the evenings, but I am hoping not as much on those days. Or I will spend the extra time in the afternoon with my kids and then have more time in the evenings to study. I will just have to see what is going to work the best once I get started.

Having kids does make things more of a challege, but if you set up a schedule and STICK TO IT and make sure your family sticks to it, it should work out.

As to residencies, I think they are all going to kick our butts no matter what we chose.

I think MD and DO take up equal amounts of time, so there would be no benefit in one over the other. The amount of time you will have during residency depends on which residency you match in. Some residencies don't have as much call as others, for example. I would recommed going to www.scutwork.com, which has a lot of helpful reviews of residency programs so you can get an idea of their workload. As someone said above, some schools are more accomadating than others for family situtions. At MSUCOM, they have an extended 5 yr program in which you take the same amount of coursework, but spread it over 5 yrs instead of 4 so you have more time for other things. No matter what, if something is very important you will always be able to make time for it.