which is more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ginaw623

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am considering dental school and have a question. I have a previous BS Degree in Human Development with a 3.4 GPA. I have some of the prereq requirements, but not many. For example, I have no chem classes. So my question is, once I take all the prereq courses, (and ace them haha)... will those grades weigh more heavily in the admission decision than my previous Bachelor's GPA? I know 3.4 is not stellar.

Members don't see this ad.

Your old GPA will not disappear, but the most recent grades will be most relevant for your admission. A 3.4 is not great, but it isn't bad either. Assuming you do well in your pre-reqs and build up your science GPA as well as your overall, you should do fine.

Keep in the mind that the DAT, volunteer and shadowing ECs, LOR, research, positive grade trends, personal statement, interview, and gpa are used for admission.

Don't be discouraged from your previous degree. You may find that it will help you in the long run when preparing for pre-reqs, the DAT, in dental school, or in practice.