Which leg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, which leg is more prone to DVT and why?

Members don't see this ad.

ericdamiansean said:
Hey guys, which leg is more prone to DVT and why?

This is my guess! Left leg

The normal anatomy is that the right common iliac artery lies on top of the left common iliac vein. This close proximity leads, in some people, to pressure of the artery onto the vein and to varying degrees of narrowing of the vein. Severe degrees of pressure can lead to obstruction of blood flow from the leg and thus to leg swelling and pain. The narrowed vein can also clot, resulting in left leg DVT.

I think this is overall very rare but more common in pregnancy.

manleyjb said:
This is my guess! Left leg

The normal anatomy is that the right common iliac artery lies on top of the left common iliac vein. This close proximity leads, in some people, to pressure of the artery onto the vein and to varying degrees of narrowing of the vein. Severe degrees of pressure can lead to obstruction of blood flow from the leg and thus to leg swelling and pain. The narrowed vein can also clot, resulting in left leg DVT.

Great guess! May-Thurner Syndrome is a name for this anatomical variation. It is a one of the risk factors of LLE DVTs.