Which Loans Should I Take Out?

Started by Climberak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Climberak

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will need to take out about $55,000 dollars for medical school next year ($50,000 for planned expenses and an additional "just in case" $5000).

My financial aid offer for the school is as follows (per year):

Perkins: 3,000
Stafford Subsidized: 8,500
Stafford Unsubsidized: 32,000
Grad Plus Loan: 27,1278

Total ....... 70,678

I won't be needing all of this money, and I'm trying to figure out which loans I should accept and which ones I should decline. Or, should I take all of them, but not take out the full amount on each one?

I'm feeling lost 🙁
 
No need to feel lost; this is very simple. Take the full Perkins and the Staffords. Take part of the GradPlus. GradPlus has a very high interest rate (8.5%) and interest accrues from the minute it's disbursed.
 
No need to feel lost; this is very simple. Take the full Perkins and the Staffords. Take part of the GradPlus. GradPlus has a very high interest rate (8.5%) and interest accrues from the minute it's disbursed.

I agree. Get rid of the one with the high interest rate.