Which LOR should I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minerva3121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on choosing LOR's to submit to programs. I have the following letters uploaded to ERAS:

-1 letter from department chair/program director (I never worked with him in a clinical setting. He wrote a letter for all the OB/GYN applicants at my school since many programs require a chair letter)
-3 letters from OB/GYN attendings whom I've worked with very closely during my core clerkship or 4th-year electives/sub-I
-1 letter from a Family Medicine attending whom I've worked with very closely during a 1-month clinical rotation

Most programs will accept up to 4 letters. For the programs that explicitly require a chair letter, I plan on sending my chair letter + the 3 letters from the OB/GYN attendings.

However, I'm not sure what to do for the programs that don't require a chair letter. I can send them the 3 letters from OB/GYN attendings, but for the 4th letter would it better to submit the one from my Family Med attending (which would demonstrate my ability to do well in clerkships other than OB/GYN and would presumably be less generic than the chair letter)? Or should I still submit the chair letter to the programs that don't require it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I neurotically sent my chair letter to all the programs to which I applied, just in case they secretly required one. But I did work with him on my sub-I so it probably was less generic than a typical chair letter.

You'll be fine using the FM letter in conjunction with your other OB letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Not all programs require Chair letters and some Chair letters are a waste of time and paper. Some programs may wonder why all of your letters are OB and not from Medicine or Surgery. Most programs will require a certain number of OB letters but they do look at other letters. Get letters from physicians that know you and will write a good letter.

Reactions: 1 user