which LOR writer should I pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat444

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have a good letter from a bio professor.

Should I get one from another bio professor? She is not a PhD, but I'm doing really well in the class and it's competitive and she's a great teacher. Really enjoyed the class.

Or from my physics instructor who will probably make me write it myself? The advantage here is that it's a different subject, and I am doing well in the class, but not as well as the bio.

Does it matter if both of your science letters are from bio profs?

Members don't see this ad.

I already have a good letter from a bio professor.

Should I get one from another bio professor? She is not a PhD, but I'm doing really well in the class and it's competitive and she's a great teacher. Really enjoyed the class.

Or from my physics instructor who will probably make me write it myself? The advantage here is that it's a different subject, and I am doing well in the class, but not as well as the bio.

Does it matter if both of your science letters are from bio profs?

According to what I've heard from both my Pre-Med Counselor and here on SDN. Adcoms prefer recs from Professors.

It's assumed their more qualified to judge your ability, etc.

good point, much appreciated. one or two more opinions, maybe?

I've heard the lame "Professors are preferred" line a bunch of times. In the end, I'd select the writer who knows you best. If there's one thing medical schools will understand it's that you have no control over who your school schedules to teach your courses. Although you raise the issue of diversity in your letters, your grades will speak on your behalf there. If you get A's in both Biology and Physics, no one on an adcom is going to wonder, "I wonder if s/he is good at Physics. There's no letter about that."

Do well in your classes and select the teacher who knows you best and/or seems most enthusiastic about writing for you.