Which LOR's to use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahd929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a few of the schools i'm applying to ask for 3 - and only 3 - letters of recommendation, including 2 from science profs. i have collected (using interfolio) 4 letters. two of them are from science profs from my post-bacc education over the past year and a half. now the question is: what do i use for my third letter? my choices are:

1. a letter from my undergrad professor and mentor. i haven't taken a class with him since 2001, but i've known him my entire adult life (7 years) and we are still close 4 years after i graduated. i took a total of 6 classes with him, and he supervised my undergraduate thesis. he is a good friend and i know he has written me an outstanding letter - glowing, specific, tailored to my personal statement, etc.

2. a letter from a doctor whose lab i've been volunteering in for the past 8 months. i rarely actually see him around the lab, and he essentially admitted to me when i asked for a letter that he would submit a marginally personalized form letter on my behalf.

so, you see my dilemma. one is recent and relevant, but lukewarm. the other is older but everything a LOR should be. anyone having this same issue? anyone want to weigh in with some advice? thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would go with #1. A so-so letter from a doctor pales in comparison to a thoroughly personalized letter from your professor/mentor, IMO. Adcoms want letters from people who know you well - the doctor in #2 seems more like an acquaintance than someone who you would want to write a LOR.

Off topic - you're in Columbus and are a Michigan fan?! How many bullets have you dodged during football season?? :laugh:

shiraz84 said:
Off topic - you're in Columbus and are a Michigan fan?! How many bullets have you dodged during football season?? :laugh:

thanks. i'm from columbus, went to school at UM, and now back in columbus. during football season i usually just lock myself in my basement and hug a stuffed wolverine till january.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm bumping this cause i was hoping for more than one reply. any advice much appreciated. :)

#1, a good letter is a good letter. who cares if it's not as recent as it should be. If you're still in touch with that professor, would you dare to ask him to upate the letter w/ anything else he has noticed about you and ask him to submit it again? I dont know if this considers as "recent."

Btw, I thought a letter from a typical doctor wont mean much? I was told by the 2 doc's i work with that their letters would mean nothing comparing to a faculty member?

Definitely go with your mentor's letter. Hands down.

This makes me think about what I would do in your situation. (Do you mind if I ask for advice too?) I have 5 letters:
1) econ prof (my undergrad major) from BS granting university. he really thought I was awesome, though I think he was disappointed that I didn't go into economics.
2) bio prof from post-bach university. He sent he a copy of his letter. It's a really goood letter.
3) bio-prof & SOM prof from post-bach university. presumably also an excellent letter, though I haven't seen it.
4 & 5) My two mentors... i have done research and published with both. Both know me personally, at work, and as a research associate. Both sent me a copy of their letter... and both are glowing.

It would be hard for me to pick only 3...

CHOICE NUMERO UNO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yah..............1

well 3 letter requirement is 2 sciences and 1 "other".

So go w/ ur 2 bios so far, because ur #3 letter is from SOM which seem better than the other bio prof. As for the 3rd, my situation is that my Verbal score on mcat is rather average. So i am having my english teacher write a letter saying i'm her star student(lol only in my dreams). Since you can tailor your letter combinations to each school, in my opinion, if you're applying to a research school, send the one from your PI. If the school likes more non-science stuff, send them the econ. You seem to have great letters across teh board and i'd love to be in your situation simply because you have great options.

my 2cents

SeattlePostBach said:
Definitely go with your mentor's letter. Hands down.

This makes me think about what I would do in your situation. (Do you mind if I ask for advice too?) I have 5 letters:
1) econ prof (my undergrad major) from BS granting university. he really thought I was awesome, though I think he was disappointed that I didn't go into economics.
2) bio prof from post-bach university. He sent he a copy of his letter. It's a really goood letter.
3) bio-prof & SOM prof from post-bach university. presumably also an excellent letter, though I haven't seen it.
4 & 5) My two mentors... i have done research and published with both. Both know me personally, at work, and as a research associate. Both sent me a copy of their letter... and both are glowing.

It would be hard for me to pick only 3...

Choice 2 for sure. Choice 3 most likely as long as its strong and you are sure about that.

And either 4 or 5.

AxlxA said:
#1, a good letter is a good letter. who cares if it's not as recent as it should be. If you're still in touch with that professor, would you dare to ask him to upate the letter w/ anything else he has noticed about you and ask him to submit it again? I dont know if this considers as "recent."
okay, it sounds like something of a consensus on my question, which agrees with my gut feeling anyway, so thanks. to clarify on your question though, axixa, i am still in touch with that prof, and he has written me an "up-to-date" letter, using my personal statement and cv as guides. we have been continuously in touch since i graduated. thanks again!

ahd929 said:
okay, it sounds like something of a consensus on my question, which agrees with my gut feeling anyway, so thanks. to clarify on your question though, axixa, i am still in touch with that prof, and he has written me an "up-to-date" letter, using my personal statement and cv as guides. we have been continuously in touch since i graduated. thanks again!

No problema.......We all were happy to help you. From the way you made it sound, it sounded like he would be a stronger candidate then the other option anyhow.