Which major?

Horsiegirl101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I major in biology for my premed schooling? Or should I take the required undergraduate classes for the MCAT and not bother with getting a B.s.? I could major in something else, like Spanish. What are the pros and cons of taking the required courses for a B.s. in Biology, versus taking the required undergraduate courses for the MCAT and majoring in an entirely different subject, while still taking plenty of math and science courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have to take a year of physics, chemistry, biology, organic chemistry, and math and soon also a half-year of biochemistry, psychology and sociology.

After that, medical schools do not care what you major in - many premeds are Bio majors because they find it interesting and because it's convenient, as the majority of the coursework listed above is also required for bio majors. But you can do whatever you'd find interesting.

Just keep in mind that less than half of people who apply to med school get in, so you may want a degree in something which has grad school/good job options as a backup - a Spanish major will have a rough time if premed doesn't work out.

Your major does not matter at all. You should major in something you are passionate about, and maybe, like the above post says, something that would make a good backup plan. Just ace your classes, particularly the science/math ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is a field of study that interests you?

Any major will do so long as you fulfill your prerequisites for med school. I'd pick a major you like because then you have a better chance at doing well in it. Or if you like lots of things then I'd pick a major that comes most easily to you because then you have a better chance at getting a higher GPA.