Which MCAT study course did you non-trads use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizinstick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been reading a lot of threads in the MCAT forum and here. I am more interested in what a NT used to study. I have TPR course with the workbook but it seems that a lot of people are saying TBR is the best. However, the 30+ club shows that the favorite is TPR and second is EK. I was under the assumption that
Bio=TPR
Verbal=TPR
Physics=TPR
G Chem and O Chem: TBR

Anyone used TPR and TBR??? Which one did you think was better or are they really about the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take a course or use a specific program. I used a Kaplan study book with practice exams, kaplan physics (extra hard version or something funny like that) and a "hard practice questions" book I found on Amazon. I did however purchase old exams online from AMCAS. I think those were very beneficial.

Of course take this with a grain of salt, I did what would be considered poorly on SDN.

EK was my only source of preparation. I think it really depends on if you knew the material in the first place and need to review, or just memorized it in the first place and need to actually learn it. FWIW, I did well on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I think I am pretty good in the sciences. EK seems really easy. I've read them once already. TPR seems really overkill. I have a 99 version of TBR from a friend but that's pretty outdated although the cover looks the same.

I found Kaplan to be... lacking. There were many errors in the Biology subject book alone, that I probably won't end up using any of their stuff.

Will probably do TPR Bio Sciences, TBR all four subjects, and AAMCs.

No formal courses. All self-study.

Do what SN2 says on the MCAT forum. After that it is no longer materials.

There is no best prep book for non trads.

Taking cell bio / genetics / biochem is a good idea though.

EK for Bio content / EK1001 or BR bio passages

BR for the rest Ochem/Chem/Phys

BR has the worst customer service I've ever experienced, so just accept it.

TPR has good shorter content review but those BR passages are gold. I actually use TPR content and BR passages.:thumbup:

Kaplan is no better or worse than anyone out there IMHO, just realize prep companies are there for the passages. Content review is something you have to be able to pick up from internet/prep books/textbooks/etc, random places depending on how strong or weak you are in each area. If you suck at something, no prep book can bring you all the way up to speed. Take those upper division classes I talked about and read up a lot if you want to hit 15s (of course many hit 15 without but Bio anymore requires fluency in bio, you don't gain this from reading prep book sections on biochem/genetics/cell bio, you gain it from learning the subjects).

Do what SN2 says on the MCAT forum. After that it is no longer materials.

There is no best prep book for non trads.

Taking cell bio / genetics / biochem is a good idea though.

EK for Bio content / EK1001 or BR bio passages

BR for the rest Ochem/Chem/Phys

BR has the worst customer service I've ever experienced, so just accept it.

TPR has good shorter content review but those BR passages are gold. I actually use TPR content and BR passages.:thumbup:
:thumbup: If you have the time this is also what I would recommend.

But I only had 1 month of prep, so I relied on EK, and did fine. But I would have done better if i had had more time and used SN2d's recommended materials, which is mostly TBR. And don't forget to practice VR, EK 101 is a good start. And definitely order the AAMC official MCAT guide.

EK was my only source of preparation. I think it really depends on if you knew the material in the first place and need to review, or just memorized it in the first place and need to actually learn it. FWIW, I did well on the MCAT.

I also used ExamKrackers exclusively and did quite a few AAMC practice tests. I also did well....better than any of my classmates who paid $1800 for Kaplan.

I won a free Kaplan course but stopped going about halfway through when it became clear it wasn't an effective use of time. EK is the way to go. If you have 1337 h4x0r 5k1ll5 you can d/l the pdf's of all their books online.