Which med field should I go into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yurigril

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New user here. I'm actually a college student, but I wasn't really sure which forum I should post in (haven't decided on a major yet). The primary field that I'm considering going into is nursing, with entry into grad school being likely. Given that nurse practitioners are in high demand and anything that requires lots of science and critical thinking is something I desire, I am leaning towards this profession. Unfortunately, I am not a "people" person; I enjoy interacting with others but only one-on-one interactions usually flow along decently for me. While this job is one I could see myself doing, I don't know whether or not this job will require me to deal with excessive amounts of physical contact (I don't mind doing a little, but I prefer not having to constantly make physical contact with people).

Pharmacy is a field that would probably work better for me, since I don't have to interact with people as much, but I've heard that the field has become saturated nowadays. I want a career in healthcare where I have some independence to do what it is I need to do, be versatile (in case the job market fluctuates), and also have some opportunities to pursue research. I prefer to have to go to college for about six to eight years at most rather than ten+ years. Are there any recommendations or input that someone can provide me? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

New user here. I'm actually a college student, but I wasn't really sure which forum I should post in (haven't decided on a major yet). The primary field that I'm considering going into is nursing, with entry into grad school being likely. Given that nurse practitioners are in high demand and anything that requires lots of science and critical thinking is something I desire, I am leaning towards this profession. Unfortunately, I am not a "people" person; I enjoy interacting with others but only one-on-one interactions usually flow along decently for me. While this job is one I could see myself doing, I don't know whether or not this job will require me to deal with excessive amounts of physical contact (I don't mind doing a little, but I prefer not having to constantly make physical contact with people).

Pharmacy is a field that would probably work better for me, since I don't have to interact with people as much, but I've heard that the field has become saturated nowadays. I want a career in healthcare where I have some independence to do what it is I need to do, be versatile (in case the job market fluctuates), and also have some opportunities to pursue research. I prefer to have to go to college for about six to eight years at most rather than ten+ years. Are there any recommendations or input that someone can provide me? Thank you.
I would speak with a guidance counselor at your school. I havent checked recently but NP programs require a few years of nursing practice. In addition not being a people person might make it difficult for you to become an NP.There are certain fields of medicine like pathology and radiology where you wouldnt necessarily have interaction with a ton of people. Have you thought about a PHD in the sciences? Might fill all your requirements of science and critical thinking and not having to touch people. However I cannot give you good advice nor would I take just a strangers word on the internet.
1)career counseling at school.
2) take tests designed to assess your individual qualities
3)research the best matches. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would speak with a guidance counselor at your school. I havent checked recently but NP programs require a few years of nursing practice. In addition not being a people person might make it difficult for you to become an NP.There are certain fields of medicine like pathology and radiology where you wouldnt necessarily have interaction with a ton of people. Have you thought about a PHD in the sciences? Might fill all your requirements of science and critical thinking and not having to touch people. However I cannot give you good advice nor would I take just a strangers word on the internet.
1)career counseling at school.
2) take tests designed to assess your individual qualities
3)research the best matches. Good luck.

I knew a girl who went directly from her BSN to an NP program. It struck me as odd, but it was at the same institution for both, so perhaps that's why? Not sure.
If healthcare doesn't work out for you then a PhD might be up your alley, but it's definitely not for everyone. Wouldn't have to deal with patients or customers, but you would have to deal with other scientists who can be a strange breed themselves. SDN can be a bit of an echo chamber in regards to the status of NPs in healthcare, so this may not be the best place to ask.

A career in medical research might suit you. It could offer the independence, scientific inquiry, and higher education that you're interested in pursuing. Ever consider a PhD?

And why are you even considering nursing if you wouldn't enjoy patient contact?