Which Med School I should apply...plz help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdcool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got 3.0 undergraduate GPA :( ..I know I am not competitive enough as a med school applicant.
then, I received my master's degree with 3.78 GPA.
My MCAT (08/04) was 7-v, 10-bs, 10-ps....27 total.
I retook it last April, and waiting for the result. I hope I have over 30 this time, but who knows.
Please....help me to choose the right medical school. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well first off all... I just finished up the app process this year... you don't choose the med school, the med schools choose you (eve if your GPA is 4.0 and your MCAT is 45) getting in depends on a lot of things...retake your mcat... that should help... I applied to about 20 schools (big money and time) with a 3.3 and a 35 ... so i had an ehhh GPA but was very happy with my MCAT score... I got 5 interviews, 3 acceptances, and a TON of rejections.... I'd say look for schools that seem to accept within your range (remember it's a big range, not a set GPA and MCAT schore)... but, so much of it's a crap shoot... make sure when you apply you tell the schools somehow that you are genuinely interested in attending there because if they feel like they're one of many, that hurts your chances...

GOOD LUCK! It's a loooooong process but well worth it when you finally get an acceptance letter!

Thank You for your help....I appreciate it.
As you mentioned, I do not want to choose the med school...^^
I just want to find out the schools that might consider me as their matriculate.
Thank You again....

Members don't see this ad :)
mdcool said:
I got 3.0 undergraduate GPA :( ..I know I am not competitive enough as a med school applicant.
then, I received my master's degree with 3.78 GPA.
My MCAT (08/04) was 7-v, 10-bs, 10-ps....27 total.
I retook it last April, and waiting for the result. I hope I have over 30 this time, but who knows.
Please....help me to choose the right medical school. :)

You didn't actually provide enough info for anyone to advise you. Is the Masters in a science? What are your ECs like? Is your BCPM significantly lower than your GPA?
At any rate if the MCAT goes up, your best shots will be the "lower tier" unranked schools - do a search, there are many threads as to which ones these are. And you should probably apply to 20+ schools to improve your odds.

Law2Doc said:
You didn't actually provide enough info for anyone to advise you. Is the Masters in a science? What are your ECs like? Is your BCPM significantly lower than your GPA?
At any rate if the MCAT goes up, your best shots will be the "lower tier" unranked schools - do a search, there are many threads as to which ones these are. And you should probably apply to 20+ schools to improve your odds.

I got masters in science at Johns Hopkins.
I have relatively strong research back ground....published four science papers as a second author. and....like other applicants, I did more than few hundred hours volunteer work at hospitals and so on...
I don't know whether it can help... :(

mdcool said:
I got masters in science at Johns Hopkins.
I have relatively strong research back ground....published four science papers as a second author. and....like other applicants, I did more than few hundred hours volunteer work at hospitals and so on...
I don't know whether it can help... :(

i'm sure it can!!! you will probably have great lor's from such a wide range of experiences, and your main weakness right now is the mcat. maybe figure out what might have gone wrong when you took it? did you take a prep course? that could help. perhaps start practicing earlier, etc. with 7's in any section that could be some content review issues, so that might be an easy thing to target. your gpa could definitely be mitigated by your great experiences and an excellent mcat (>34 or so)...just really hit that very hard!

good luck :luck: