Which med. schools combine highest MCAT scores?

Started by dmtang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dmtang

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know, generally speaking, that most medical schools take your highest MCAT score from a single testing only.

However, there are schools like Tufts who look at all your scores and take the highest from each section, granted that you took the MCAT more than once.

Do you guys know any schools that are like Tufts with respect to combining MCAT scores?
 
i heard albany med college also looks at highest scores from each individual section from multiple testings.

any truth in that?
 
No. No schools do that. But they do see both scores so a very high score in either is bound to impress. Other than that then, no dice. Sorry.



-Casey
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Casey James said:
No. No schools do that. But they do see both scores so a very high score in either is bound to impress. Other than that then, no dice. Sorry.



-Casey
Casey knows his/her stuff. 😉
 
dmtang said:
I know, generally speaking, that most medical schools take your highest MCAT score from a single testing only.


i actually thought it was rare that schools only look at one score...seems like most schools at least look at all of them and average them... 😕
 
I know for a fact that the U. of Utah takes the highest score from each section. (It says so on their website). Also, I have spoken with faculty at Tulane that say they do that as well. Generally, I would think that Admission Committees look at overall performance on the MCAT over all administrations. If there is one area that is consistently weak, that may present a problem.
 
Casey James said:
No. No schools do that. But they do see both scores so a very high score in either is bound to impress. Other than that then, no dice. Sorry.



-Casey

sorry casey, but you haven't done your hw.

check out the tufts website and they even give an example that shows that they DO take the highest scores from multiple testings.

albany (after emailing them) said that they look at all your scores, while dartmouth ONLY looks at your most recent score.

in my case, when i took the mcat the 2nd time, my score dropped 7 points. unfortunately, dartmouth told me they would not consider the 1st score.
 
Tufts takes your highest from each section, however they do look at all your scores...
 
Pretty sure MCW takes highest section from previous 2 MCATS. You can call them and make sure, but I am highly sure! Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it is in the best interest of schools to consider the highest score. Not just to judge applicants on a single score. That way they will be able to boost thier own MCAT averages when published. I think! anyways, I hope they think like that, because it helps me in my case


dsherida said:
Pretty sure MCW takes highest section from previous 2 MCATS. You can call them and make sure, but I am highly sure! Good luck