Which med. schools to apply for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kateoptimistic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know what med schools are good for me. My gpa is ok (avg. gpa 3.82, BMPC 3.8), my first MCAT is very low(way below 30) and i am going to retake it in July. Can anyone tell me how to choose a school? Do you have any good links for finding out med. schools? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a brand new sub-forum just for questions regarding which schools to apply to and other What Are My Chances Questions. There is a link to it at the top of the Pre-Allo page.

Moving your question to there.

I don't know what med schools are good for me. My gpa is ok (avg. gpa 3.82, BMPC 3.8), my first MCAT is very low(way below 30) and i am going to retake it in July. Can anyone tell me how to choose a school? Do you have any good links for finding out med. schools? Thanks for any help!

I highly recommend getting the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) book. It's $25, published by the AAMC, and it tells you all the requirements and GPA and MCAT trends for all the LCME accredited schools in the US & Canada. It's really great! Here's the link.

Your other alternative is to visit each school's website and read about the school, admissions, etc. through there. This will probably be much more time consuming, especially since not all schools list the average GPA/MCATs of accepted applicants.

With respect to your GPA/MCAT, I think you have a solid GPA that can get you into a lot of schools depending on the rest of your application. As long as you can get your MCAT up to around a 30 or higher, and if you have good ECs (shadowing, volunteering, research, etc) I think you'll be in good shape.

Remember, though, that your state of residency is important in choosing what schools to apply to... there are a lot of schools that give preference to residents, and many others that accept more non-residents than residents. Residency info can also be found in the MSAR book.

Hope this was somewhat helpful! :)

Yes. It helps very much. Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.