UAAUGAUAG

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm swarmed with secondaries lol and trying to figure out which medical schools I need to send out first. How can I find out if a medical school is non-rolling? I know Harvard and Penn aren't, but I can't find the information online for others, like Yale, etc.

boogiecousins94

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
If you look on MSAR there's a section that says when the committee starts reviewing apps. Still rolling but some don't start until say Aug 15th so then you can do others that started reviewing already

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Whether or not a school has a formal policy of non-rolling admission by announcing all acceptances on a single day, the process of screening, evaluating and reviewing applications, as well as the rolling nature of offering interview invites, makes every medical school effectively rolling. The admission process rolls along even if the formal announcements do not.

About the Ads

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
Whether or not a school has a formal policy of non-rolling admission by announcing all acceptances on a single day, the process of screening, evaluating and reviewing applications, as well as the rolling nature of offering interview invites, makes every medical school effectively rolling. The admission process rolls along even if the formal announcements do not.
So you're saying that schools that send out acceptances on a single day also review applications (post-interview) on a rolling basis? Do they also then make an unofficial list of people to accept on a rolling basis as well?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
So you're saying that schools that send out acceptances on a single day also review applications (post-interview) on a rolling basis? Do they also then make an unofficial list of people to accept on a rolling basis as well?
They review applications both pre-interview and post-interview on a rolling basis
They assign interviews on a rolling basis
They make an official list of acceptees and alternates as they roll thru the cycle
They adjust this list as the cycle rolls forward
Then they announce on a set day
A non-rolling school follows nearly the same process as a rolling school except for when they announce acceptances

Last edited:

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student

Just to reiterate in melodic form with lyrics below. Pay attention to the episode title at about .18 as it kind of goes with adcom review

Rollin', rollin', rollin'

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies* movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope and throw and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin'
Be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide!
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Rawhide!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician

Just to reiterate in melodic form with lyrics below. Pay attention to the episode title at about .18 as it kind of goes with adcom review

Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies* movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope and throw and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
My heart's calculatin'
My true love will be waitin'
Be waiting at the end of my ride.

Move 'em on, head 'em up
Head 'em up, move 'em on
Move 'em on, head 'em up
Rawhide!
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Ride 'em in, let 'em out
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!

Rawhide!
This is my theme song.

desperadoflakes

5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Sorry to revive a dead thread -- @gonnif @gyngyn , are you saying that the date of your interview matters at a non-rolling school? Does somebody interviewing in october have a better chance than someone interviewing in January, if all decisions are announced in March?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
In my opinion and experience, even the rolling schools are very selective in making offers so that there are still offers to be made when the last group of interviewees comes through the door. "interviewing for the waitlist" doesn't happen at most schools.

Reactions: gyngyn

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Sorry to revive a dead thread -- @gonnif @gyngyn , are you saying that the date of your interview matters at a non-rolling school? Does somebody interviewing in october have a better chance than someone interviewing in January, if all decisions are announced in March?
All medical schools, rolling and non-rolling, process applications in the same manner. Therefore, all schools are rolling for interview slots, which essentially make all schools rolling; non-rolling simply group their acceptance announcements to a single date. Contrary to the apparent widespread perception, non-rolling schools do not wait for all applications to arrive before screening, have them thoroughly evaluated by readers, and then forwarded to adcom for review primarily from those evaluations. They evaluate/score/classify application factors across all parts (primary, secondary, MCAT, LOR) on a rolling basis with higher scoring being reviewed and getting II earlier. So it isnt the date of the interview but the offer of the invite that would be the indicator. Data over 5 years from University of Michigan, indicates that applicants were invited for interviews at 3 times the rate in June/July as they were in September and acceptances were 2 times the rate from June/July II over August II and 4 times the rate over September II.

upload_2017-10-1_10-15-55.png

upload_2017-10-1_10-18-33.png

upload_2017-10-1_10-18-6.png

Attachments

Last edited:
About the Ads