Which Medical Schools have non-rolling admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sankri92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian student with a fairly good cGPA ~3.93 and average ECs e.g. research (1 publication pending), executive on various councils, hospital volunteering (7+ years), inner city school children mentorship, etc (nothing spectacular).
I intend to write the MCAT on August 9. Unfortunately, I cannot change to an earlier date. Now I know that is an extremely late date to write with rolling admissions and all, but from what I have read if I were to submit my primary during the first week when AMCAS registration opens, get all my LORs in order, and start writing the secondaries (if I get them) the day after my MCAT, I may have a fighting chance.

Could you guys link me to a list of medical schools that don't have rolling admissions? What do you think about my chances with rolling admission schools? I hope to get a strong MCAT score so I can stand out academically (fingers crossed). I know about all the "canadian-friendly" schools and I intend to apply to most of them. Finally, are there any additional tips that you can give me?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think even the schools that say they don't do "rolling" admissions...still roll; to some degree anyway.

For specific schools, I would assume the top top tier schools "don't do" rolling admissions. For example, I am pretty sure that Yale does not. As for a complete list...I have no idea; maybe someone has made a list somewhere?...link?

Harvard
Cornell
Penn
Columbia
Duke
Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
I think even the schools that say they don't do "rolling" admissions...still roll; to some degree anyway.

For specific schools, I would assume the top top tier schools "don't do" rolling admissions. For example, I am pretty sure that Yale does not. As for a complete list...I have no idea; maybe someone has made a list somewhere?...link?

What I also find strange is that there was one school that stated it was rolling admission, but it does not exactly pick people on a rolling basis per say. I think what they meant was they get a pool of people from a few months and then accept some people from that pool and reject others from the same pool. Then the get the next pool of people and do the same thing. So you are competing with that pool of people for a set amount of seats and the next pool competes for another set amount.

What I also find strange is that there was one school that stated it was rolling admission, but it does not exactly pick people on a rolling basis per say. I think what they meant was they get a pool of people from a few months and then accept some people from that pool and reject others from the same pool. Then the get the next pool of people and do the same thing. So you are competing with that pool of people for a set amount of seats and the next pool competes for another set amount.

I think most rolling schools don't actually do this, but follow what you would expect it rolling admissions to be.

Not to discourage you, but just because a school releases its decisions in March, doesn't mean it actually makes its decisions at the end of the interview cycle. More importantly, interviews are ALWAYS given out on a rolling basis, so you'll still have a better chance to get into those top-tier schools if you apply early.

The other thing is that you mentioned that you want to stand out academically. Unless you break 40, I don't know that your numbers will necessarily stand out at the top schools, where 3.8/36 is the average. You'll have to shine on your non-academic stuff as well.

Anyway, none of this is to say you can't do it - obviously you're a very good student, but just know that it applying late might make it tougher than usual even at the non-rolling schools.

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid only the top 20 schools were not "rolling". Would I have a chance to gain admission to the "rolling" schools? I will get my MCAT score sometime in September. If my MCAT is 37+ is there a good chance? I am not saying that I will get a 37+, I am being purely hypothetical.

I think most rolling schools don't actually do this, but follow what you would expect it rolling admissions to be.

Yes you are right that school is an anomaly. I do think that there a few schools that do the rolling process differently from what we would normally think.

As others have mentioned, most of the schools that are officially "non-rolling" still make interview/admissions decisions on a rolling schedule. Don't count on being a school on being non-rolling in hopes that you can submit your primary/secondary any later than it has to.

As others have mentioned, most of the schools that are officially "non-rolling" still make interview/admissions decisions on a rolling schedule. Don't count on being a school on being non-rolling in hopes that you can submit your primary/secondary any later than it has to.

This.

The OP seems to be under the mistaken impression that non-rolling schools will be more likely to consider him. By the time this student gets his scores and supplementals submitted, many of those non-rolling schools will have determined who they'll be interviewing over the next few months.

An August MCAT date is too late for the next cycle....especially for an int'l, even if Canadian.

Dartmouth is most definitely rolling, unless if they are changing things for future application cycles. Their current admissions process is a bit unique, but they still make and release decisions on a rolling basis. Source: my experience this cycle

So back to:

Harvard
Cornell
Penn
Columbia
Duke
Yale
Pitt

Members don't see this ad :)
Vermont has a very long rolling process which i've heard favors late applications...

Hello,

Are there any additional tips that you can give me?
Yes... DO NOT take the MCAT unless you feel ready. August 9th seems good and not late. I do not care about what others think but taking it in August is not late at all. Taking the test earlier and completing your application earlier do not mean that you will have better chances since there is a higher chance of not doing as well on the MCAT. I took the MCAT in September and ended up having 6 interviews until now out of 10 schools that I applied to!
My suggestions:
1- Take the MCAT whenever you feel ready
2- Keep up the good work (your GPA and ECs are great)
3- Write a very good unique/convincing personal statement that will make the reader want to read the whole statement and not bore him out with cliches.

Good Luck

Reactions: 1 user
Yes... DO NOT take the MCAT unless you feel ready. August 9th seems good and not late. I do not care about what others think but taking it in August is not late at all. Taking the test earlier and completing your application earlier do not mean that you will have better chances since there is a higher chance of not doing as well on the MCAT. I took the MCAT in September and ended up having 6 interviews until now out of 10 schools that I applied to!
My suggestions:
3- Write a very good unique/convincing personal statement that will make the reader want to read the whole statement and not bore him out with cliches.

Good Luck

Going against popular opinion based on one users experience is not the way to go. Also add UCLA to that list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestions:

Good Luck

I agree that if August will give OP the best shot to do well, then that's when it should be taken. However, this doesn't mean it's still a good idea to apply that year. As you mentioned, a late app can work out for some, but add the fact that OP is International and that makes things even more difficult.

I am also intending to apply to most Canadian Universities, so it is not imperative that I get accepted into an American one. With that being said, I would like to go to Dartmouth (my top choice for a non-reach school). I know it is not rolling, but it seems that they seriously consider Canadian applicants (more than other universities).

I've been looking through the school-specific threads and it seems that there are people who get acceptances with a late completion date. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? I will not change my MCAT to an earlier date, because I can still apply to Canadian Universities with a good score.

My suggestions:

Good Luck

Just, curious but what were your stats this cycle? GPA, MCAT, ECs.

Sorry for the double post!

I am also intending to apply to most Canadian Universities, so it is not imperative that I get accepted into an American one. With that being said, I would like to go to Dartmouth (my top choice for a non-reach school). I know it is not rolling, but it seems that they seriously consider Canadian applicants (more than other universities).

Is it generally harder for Canadians to get into private US schools than it is for US citizens? I've been wondering this.

Is it generally harder for Canadians to get into private US schools than it is for US citizens? I've been wondering this.

Yes because there are very few spots.

Yes because there are very few spots.

You mean there are a few spots specifically reserved for Canadians/other non-citizens?

I think I remember reading somewhere that Canadians are considered the same as US residents for admissions purposes at private/top schools.

(Sorry to hijack thread!!)

Can people also name some rolling admission schools that doesn't penalize late applicants as much either by releasing most of its acceptances in the spring?

I realize that interview spots are still given on a rolling basis but there are at least seats to compete for.