Which Microbiology Class Should I take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slarveson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a non traditional student so just taking the prereqs and a few others that will help. I'm signed up to take Microbiology (3450) which is labled "General Microbiology" and is the one that most pre-meds take from what i've heard...this is the catalog entry: Emphasizes relationships between microbes and their ecosystems, and biotechnological applications including food production, spoilage and preservation, fermentation technology, agriculture, waste disposal, water lecture/discussion. Successful completion of the course gives students an understanding of the importance of microbes to biological communites.

However, i've noticed that there is another Microbiology (2060) class labled "Principles of Microbiology" with the catalog entry: For health science, pre-pharmacy and other allied health professionals who need an understanding of microbiology. Focuses on essentials of microbiology, including disease control, nomenclature, function of immune system, pathologies, causes and cures, and laboratory methods for safely studying microorganisms. Successful completion of the course gives students an understanding of microbes and their relationship to the human system and health.

Im assuming the 2060 one would be easier and it looks like it emphasizes the pre-health part more then the other but the other is what most pre-meds take (although they are not non trad so maybe they have to take that one?) so which one should i take if im just looking to take the one that will help out with the MCAT and med school the most (and MOST OF ALL which one med schools would prefer i take)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend the principles of microbiology one because it is geared toward the human system and health. General Microbiology sounds like it deals with all sorts of stuff beyond the scope of the human body. I would say, in general, anything that deals with human physiology is best because that is what we want to treat as doctors.
Of course this is all opinion and someone might come in with facts that dispute everything I have just said.
Personally, I took a more general micro class because I found it damned interesting.
At any rate, from my MCAT experience, microbiology didn't come up very much.

Edit: As for normal students taking the class because they have to. As a biology major I had to take the tougher version of a genetics class at my school while other students could take an easier one. So you might be right about that.

Last edited:
I would recommend the general microbiology. The principles is going to give a glazed over version so pre-health (nursing, dietary, etc.) and allied health students have a brief and general idea what microbiology is. Your general microbio is going to be your standard micro class. It will also never be confused with a less rigorous "principles" class. My $.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure the one you are taking is for Science Majors.

Make sure the one you are taking is for Science Majors.

I second that... Take the higher level course, Btw, pre-health usually means nursing, not medicine, and what a pharmacist or dentist needs to know about microbes is vastly different from what Drs need to know...

I say take the higher level course, but for different reasons than what some posters are saying. What you learn is not that important for medical school because medical school will cover what you need to know to be a physician. Right now you will want to take courses (and make good grades!) that will look good to admissions committees. Making an A in a 300-level course will look better than a 200-level Principles course. I wouldn't worry about all of the human-based stuff right now; that will come when you enter medical school.

ok i think ill take the upper level one. Thanks for the responses. One more question though...will this MB class actually help out with med school at all? I actually don't have to take it because its not a pre-req but need to fill a full class load for next semester so took it. Just wondering if taking it will be that helpful for me in med school?

From what I hear from med students, undergraduate courses won't prepare you for the volume or depth of material from medical school. This is why people say it doesn't matter which undergrad major you choose. As long as you satisfy the prerequisite courses, you will be in good shape. The only other thing to consider is if you need to improve your science GPA. If it's low, and you can pick it up by making an A in an upper level course, taking this class would be beneficial to you. Again, making an A is the most important factor here.

I have a 3.9ish sGPA and a 3.38 cGPA so don't really need to improve my sGPA. I slacked off the last year and should have been ready to apply this year so I want to have a tough load for the next two semesters to show that i can still pull the A's. I only took physics1&2, research project and med terminology the past two semesters combined (long story). I had a similar year although add in there another hard class 3 years ago and then a tough load two years ago with anatomy, biology2 and chemistry 2 all with labs and all with A's and then the next semester had a similar but little bit easier class load so i've proven that i can do it but i definitely should have been more then ready this year to apply and it is obvious that i could have had a tougher course load more often then not so that kind of worries me a little bit (accounting degree and went into the pre-med thing since fall 2007 so sould have even been ready to apply last year if you think about it). I think i need to pull off a couple tough semesters this next year to really prove myself.

A friend of mine who's in med school right now said that MB would help out alot for med school but thats just what he says so who knows. it would have to help out a little bit because you're learning about stuff that MB goes through right?

I would recommend the general microbiology. The principles is going to give a glazed over version so pre-health (nursing, dietary, etc.) and allied health students have a brief and general idea what microbiology is. Your general microbio is going to be your standard micro class. It will also never be confused with a less rigorous "principles" class. My $.02.

This :thumbup:

I have a 3.9ish sGPA and a 3.38 cGPA so don't really need to improve my sGPA. I slacked off the last year and should have been ready to apply this year so I want to have a tough load for the next two semesters to show that i can still pull the A's. I only took physics1&2, research project and med terminology the past two semesters combined (long story). I had a similar year although add in there another hard class 3 years ago and then a tough load two years ago with anatomy, biology2 and chemistry 2 all with labs and all with A's and then the next semester had a similar but little bit easier class load so i've proven that i can do it but i definitely should have been more then ready this year to apply and it is obvious that i could have had a tougher course load more often then not so that kind of worries me a little bit (accounting degree and went into the pre-med thing since fall 2007 so sould have even been ready to apply last year if you think about it). I think i need to pull off a couple tough semesters this next year to really prove myself.

A friend of mine who's in med school right now said that MB would help out alot for med school but thats just what he says so who knows. it would have to help out a little bit because you're learning about stuff that MB goes through right?

At this point, all you really need to prove is that you can rock the MCAT. Do that, and you will be golden.

well i guess that settles it then...i'll take the upper division one. Thanks for all your responses