Which neurology journals should I subscribe to during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackdogue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm in my final year of my medical studies in the EU and I'm almost sure I want to be a neurologist. Which do you think are the journals that are worth subscribing to during residency, if any? I was thinking of getting nejm next year when I will be doing my internal medicine year and then maybe lancet neurology, and I'm also considering getting an uptodate subscription. Is that a good plan? Am I wasting money on journals I won't read?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Save your money. Rely on whatever journals that your school has subscribed to.

Reactions: 1 user
Save your money. Rely on whatever journals that your school has subscribed to.
Thank you for your response, but I was referring to residency, not medical school. No hospital is gonna give me access to any journals. At least in Germany, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response, but I was referring to residency, not medical school. No hospital is gonna give me access to any journals. At least in Germany, I think.

I don't know about Germany, but in the US, resident membership in the American Academy of Neurology is often paid by the residency. The membership comes with a journal subscription. Med students and interns (internal medicine training before neurology residency) can join AAN for free. The AAN accepts international members.

I don't know about Germany, but in the US, resident membership in the American Academy of Neurology is often paid by the residency. The membership comes with a journal subscription. Med students and interns (internal medicine training before neurology residency) can join AAN for free. The AAN accepts international members.
do you have any other recommendations? I'm not asking how to pay for them, I'm asking which ones do you think are the most useful? I really appreciate it answers, you are the only one answering.

Neurology, Annals of Neurology, JAMA Neurology will cover most of the clinical research in neurology if you're interested in that. The big stroke trials and results end up in NEJM and JAMA. Stroke is a good journal but more specialized, but since a lot of residency is taking care of stroke patients it can be useful. But my university library has an access portal that allows me to read every journal in the world (essentially) for free. And most NIH-funded (and WTCCC, etc.) research ends up on Pubmed central for free 6 months after publication.

I recommend taking advantage of the AAN's offer for the printed version of Continuum as a resident. It is generally otherwise quite expensive, and is an outstanding resource to keep up to date on all things neurology!

Neurology, Annals of Neurology, JAMA Neurology will cover most of the clinical research in neurology if you're interested in that. The big stroke trials and results end up in NEJM and JAMA. Stroke is a good journal but more specialized, but since a lot of residency is taking care of stroke patients it can be useful. But my university library has an access portal that allows me to read every journal in the world (essentially) for free. And most NIH-funded (and WTCCC, etc.) research ends up on Pubmed central for free 6 months after publication.
Are you not a fan of the Lancet neurology? It has the highest impact factor among neurology journals, I thought it was a standard choice.

Lancet Neurology is fine. Lots of trials and direct patient applications. Impact factor is a gamed metric.

I would recommend the following journals

Neurology
NEJM
Lancet Neurology
JAMA Neurology
Nature Reviews Neurology

in that order!

I would recommend the following journals

Neurology
NEJM
Lancet Neurology
JAMA Neurology
Nature Reviews Neurology

in that order!
Thank you for your answer! The green Neurology is ridiculously expensive to get in Europe but the rest I think I could afford on a German resident's salary. Never checked out nature reviews though, better do it. And do you think I should get uptodate? Or is it not worth it? Assume that my future hospital won't pay it for me.

Thank you for your answer! The green Neurology is ridiculously expensive to get in Europe but the rest I think I could afford on a German resident's salary. Never checked out nature reviews though, better do it. And do you think I should get uptodate? Or is it not worth it? Assume that my future hospital won't pay it for me.

UpTodate in my opinion is too expensive during residency...

Reactions: 1 users