• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Red Beard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
We are getting close to the end of our MS1 OMM course. So far, I have had the most success treating and being treated with muscle energy techniques.

I'm really not a big fan of counterstrain or MFR. Even in our textbook they point out that counterstrain does nothing to address the underlying somatic dysfunction.

Haven't had any cranial yet. I am skeptical, but will wait to see what I see.

How about you?

Dr.Dicky

Original P-I-M-P
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2002
St. Augustine, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I love the frog and the wheelbarrow...definitely keepers. Although the intra-rectal coccygeal release is working its way up to the top of my list.

Sirius Black

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 6, 2003
Tampa Bay
Status (Visible)
Cervical and thoracic HVLA is my fav, simply because there is nothing more satisfying than hearing that "pop". As for effectiveness, I've found that muscle energy works the best for the widest range of dysfunctions.

About the Ads

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I love the frog and the wheelbarrow...definitely keepers. Although the intra-rectal coccygeal release is working its way up to the top of my list.

Bad...so bad...:laugh:

Soft tissue, HVLA, ME are my faves.

We don't really do CS till next year, but based on the little we have done, I like it pretty good esp. for piriformis.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm mostly an HVLA/ME guy...I usually just use counterstrain when I'm trying to diagnose and there's a really tender spot segmentally....its kind of funny to watch people accuse you of moving your finger from the tenderpoint b/c they don't feel the pain anymore when you push

blike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2002
Status (Visible)
Like: Kirksville crunch (hey, what can I say, I'm from KCOM), texas twist (not taught, learned from a 3rd year), HVLA cervicals ("the patients like the joint music" as one of our esteemed retired surgeons put it), lumbar roll (aka the million dollar roll).

Dislike: Cranial.

cyclohexanol

No, no. Doggie afuera.
15+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2005
Snowed In
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My wife is a big fan of long-axis cervical kneading, it seems to help with her cervicogenic headaches. So I guess I'll go with ST for my favorite.

olliemctuffy

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I can't stand cranial, it should be removed from our curricula and the board exams. The evidence for it does not exist and the theories are bogus. It is embarrasing.

That said, I like using ME, ST, BLT and occassionally HVLA, particlularly for the T spine.

surrender903

15+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm mostly an HVLA/ME guy...I usually just use counterstrain when I'm trying to diagnose and there's a really tender spot segmentally....its kind of funny to watch people accuse you of moving your finger from the tenderpoint b/c they don't feel the pain anymore when you push

them "hey thats not the spot"

me "nooooo you just are feeling better"

them "no no no thats not the spot anymore!"

me "..."

i prefer HVLA and counterstrain, but lymphatic techniques are very handy during the winter months.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
It seems that DOs have developed some technique for every freaking muscle in, on, and around the pelvis. Before I would ever use some of these techniques on actual patients, I'll need to either change how I value these techniques or marry the patient.

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
I dislike counterstrain...Umm let me just put my finger there and lift up your leg... does that feel all better now?? Thanks, that'll be $150 please.

ME ain't bad - my fiance is an OT and they use it alot along with the PTs, they just call it something else. Cervical HVLA gave me a HA but I liked lumbar HVLA.

We do this thing at NYCOM called FPR, do you guys do that? It's like lazy mans counterstrain - this one you only have to hold for 3-5 sec but since you have a pillow involved, that magically makes it all better.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Most common things I use (therefore I like)

1. Cervical HVLA
2. First rib Still technique
3. Thoracic/Lumbar HVLA
4. Sacral counterstrain
5. Visceral
6. OA decompression

About the Ads

babyruth

Babyruth
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
I was with Steve..no I was on the moon!
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When treating older or difficult patients, you will end up using a lot of things you might dislike to get them relief. You basically need a large array of techniques under your belt. HVLA, ME, springing, modified BLT, and soft tissue work really well depending on the age. Last resort is FPR or MFR, especially on fibro patients. Do what your comfortable with first and then work outwards. Having a routine down also helps (i.e. sacrum up, or cranium down, etc.). I'm still trying to coordinate it into my schedule, especially hospital medicine where you are limited on time and acuity of care. I know several docs who refer out to chiropractors for their patients because of time, amount of treatments needed, and $ issues with their patients. There is also medical massage and acupuncture used with varying degrees of success.

Fin-Nor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2003
South Side
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ligamentous articular strain, BLT, BMT or watever other name you want to call it
Counter strain
Fascial release
muscle energy
HVLA

it's a shame that majority of DO's only like HVLA or muscle energy.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Ligamentous articular strain, BLT, BMT or watever other name you want to call it
Counter strain
Fascial release
muscle energy
HVLA

it's a shame that majority of DO's only like HVLA or muscle energy.
It may have something to do w/ that fact that we learn OMM on relatively healthy patients in lab (ie each other) and those other techniques just don't seem like they are doing anything to our relatively healthy selves....vs. hvla/ME you can feel, see (or maybe even hear) some kind of result

Combine that w/ the fact that only a certain percentage of us will take the OMM training in years 3+4 seriously....and you get people who only feel comfortable w/ the stuff they liked or felt was useful in year 1+2

I'm only an M2...so hopefully I'll have some good opportunities to brantch out w/ my techniques on patients who are actually in pain in the next few years

though its not like any of us M1/2's know what drugs in a class we "like" or how we prefer to work up patients for whatever medical dx.....those will only come w/ experience....

homeboy

I'm super cereal.
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Folsom Prison
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
It may have something to do w/ that fact that we learn OMM on relatively healthy patients in lab (ie each other) and those other techniques just don't seem like they are doing anything to our relatively healthy selves....vs. hvla/ME you can feel/see/hear some kind of result

Combine that w/ the fact that only a certain percentage of us will take the OMM training in years 3+4 seriously....and you get people who only feel comfortable w/ the stuff they liked or felt was useful in year 1+2

I'm only an M2...so hopefully I'll have some good opportunities to brantch out w/ my techniques on patients who are actually in pain in the next few years

like: ME & soft tissue
dislike: basically everything else, particularly MFR, tenderpoints, and of course, cranial.

seriously, i don't get the "I love the pop" people. you're like the habitual knuckle-crackers.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
...seriously, i don't get the "I love the pop" people. you're like the habitual knuckle-crackers.

Today we learned some HVLA techniques on the thorax. Got a nice pop while I was the patient. Felt pretty darn good. I might have to start seeking these people out.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It may have something to do w/ that fact that we learn OMM on relatively healthy patients in lab (ie each other) and those other techniques just don't seem like they are doing anything to our relatively healthy selves....vs. hvla/ME you can feel, see (or maybe even hear) some kind of result

though its not like any of us M1/2's know what drugs in a class we "like" or how we prefer to work up patients for whatever medical dx.....those will only come w/ experience....

I think the learning curve on indirect techniques is much longer too, and the findings are much more subtle. I don't think most people aren't putting in the time to develop these skills, at least during M1-2.

yanky5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Counterstrain rules. I don't like cervical HVLA since I don't think it's safe. They tell you it is safe but they cover up injuries that occur to pts sometimes.

JohnDO

MS III
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
JohnDO said:
I don't like cervical HVLA since I don't think it's safe. They tell you it is safe but they cover up injuries that occur to pts sometimes.
Evidence?

Jamers

Sexy Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
North Carolina
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Counterstrain rules. I don't like cervical HVLA since I don't think it's safe. They tell you it is safe but they cover up injuries that occur to pts sometimes.

Sure, you don't go popping someone with Downs but, in a healthy person, what harm could a well place technique cause?

Me: I am a cracking junkie, if I can hear it, I like it.

Red Beard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

The risk with HVLA has actually been studied in great detail, both from within and outside the osteopathic profession. The findings invariably point to a risk of serious complications with cervical HVLA somewhere on the order of 1:500,000 or less. Most studies suggest rates closer to 1:1,000,000 or less. These aren't just JAOA papers either. The point is that cervical HVLA, performed by a trained operator, and with the relevant contraindications taken into account, is one of the safest medical procedures there is.

As far as "they" covering up injuries to patients...I'm not sure how one would go about covering up life threatening cervical injuries.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Haven't done much HVLA yet (still MSI), but we do a TON of CS and ME techniques first year. Have done a few HVLA stuff. I think it depends a lot on who you're treating. My husband HATES HVLA, but really really loves the CS and ME stuff. There are some folks in class who are harder than all get out to pop, but they respond well to the other techniques. I will say that learning all those CS points drives me nuts.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Haven't done much HVLA yet (still MSI), but we do a TON of CS and ME techniques first year. Have done a few HVLA stuff. I think it depends a lot on who you're treating. My husband HATES HVLA, but really really loves the CS and ME stuff. There are some folks in class who are harder than all get out to pop, but they respond well to the other techniques. I will say that learning all those CS points drives me nuts.
forget the points.....just fold and hold around where it hurts...

The_Sensei

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Techniques I like - None
Techniques I hate - All

I'm an anesthesiologist, though:)

msgirl

10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2007
Kansas City, MO
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Counterstrain is awesome if you've ever actually had a Chapman's point. And it enables the patient to be functional. About it not correcting a somatic dysfunction--you do address the inapporiate gamma motor neuron firing. I'm telling you, sometimes the osteopathic clinical correlates sound like a bit of a stretch; this one is not. It really does reduce pain by 30% or better.

To me, HVLA is good if you do it correctly. If not, you cause way more problems than you fix (remember the cervical lab??). My favorites are ME and Still's techniques.

All of OMM requires that you understand what's going on with the body, and to me that's pretty awesome (not to mention the mark of a doc that's worth his or her salt).

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Ohio
Status (Visible)
I am going to throw in a vote for Spencer technique. I have used it a lot and people really like it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.