which one would you choose??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooze

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you had to choose right now based on what you know, would you pick orthopedics or urology? and why?

Members don't see this ad.

lol are these the 2 hottest surgical subpecialties, I keep seeing this discussion popping up all over this site

I'd like to know as well, leaning toward Orthopedics and interventional rads-I gotta decide by the end of my surgery rotations

depends if i like pelvic surgery and penises/balls, or if i like reducing fractures and replacing hips..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about you, but I'm not too fond of handling other dude's junk.

Urology has one of the best combinations of medicine/surgery, inpatient/outpatient and flexibility/lifestyle in medicine. Plus, your patient base is ever increasing.

Urology has one of the best combinations of medicine/surgery, inpatient/outpatient and flexibility/lifestyle in medicine. Plus, your patient base is ever increasing.

yeh, i agree with this...i really like the flexibility of urology over ortho (i.e. you can stop operating in uro and still run a very productive office practice whereas that is not as much of an option in ortho)...and i think you're right in terms of the patient base increasing but also new technologies that are being developed which i think will really increase the demand for urologists exponentially...for instance, there is an implantable artificial kidney that is being developed currently to hopefully be able to be implanted in human patients in a few years...

with all that said, i def. see the appeal of ortho thus making the decision very difficult.

You have posted this question quite a few times in a number of threads, and I don't know what someone can tell you other than the're both great surgical fields.

It seems like you're focusing more on the lifestyle factors of each specialty instead of the pathology/nature of the work for each respective field. For the rest of your life, which field do you want to spend the majority of your waking hours reading, learning, teaching, speaking, operating, thinking, re-learning, re-reading, re-operating, etc., about?

Oh yes, ha ha, because urologists deal with PENISES, that is so hilarious.

Nuts or Bolts? pick one. they're very different organ systems. Would you prefer to make a guy scream by reducing their fracture or by reducing their foreskin?

if you had to choose right now based on what you know, would you pick orthopedics or urology? and why?

Both.

There's a few combined programs out there

Doesn't matter. Ortho has plenty of dicks and urology has plenty of bones.

Agreed with inpatient/outpatient and flexibility/lifestyle. Disagree about the medicine/surgery combo; I think urology is more cerebral in that it involves a lot tougher anatomy than most of the other surgical specialties (with neurosurgery being the exception of course) but the medical management involved that I saw was limited pretty much to erectile dysfunction, incontinence, and long-term prostate cancer management with anti-androgens - most of which consisted of refilling prescriptions in clinic and doing a rectal/genital exam. Which is fine, but I honestly found general surgery to have more "medicine" in it.

I think what's meant by medicine/surgery combination is that you can practice urology in a largely clinic setting if you so wish without doing much surgery (later on in life usually) or you can do more surgeries. Either way, it's first and foremost a surgical subspecialty. People shouldn't kid themselves into thinking otherwise (I nearly did and I almost paid for it). I do agree the lifestyle tends to be better than most other surgical specialties in general.

(Incidentally in answer to the question above... while I don't like surgery, I would rather pick urology. I can suffer through 5 years of surgical residency to open a practice doing purely urodynamics and cystoscopy any day of the week over an ortho residency).