Which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
honestly, it really doesn't matter. you probably don't really need either, as there's a ton of computers at the hospital to look up stuff. I did get the pocketmedicine myeslf but it's been gathering dust the past couple weeks. but that could just be me.:rolleyes:

Washington Manual is meatier, covers more topics. But its a little too big to fit well in the white coat (it'll fit, but thats all you'll get into that pocket).

Red book is golden, imho. Fits well in the white coat, and really has "the essentials" for all the bread & butter medicine stuff. If you know everything in the red book about whatever condition your patient has on rounds, you'll look great.

Don't really need both. If you need more info beyond rapid references like these, your best bet is to go to UpToDate or some other source.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly recommend red book. It's very quick and high yield. You can read about most diagnoses in a minute or two and have the basic diagnosis, workup, and treatment down for rounds, which is what you want in a pocket reference. Washington Manual is basically a textbook. It's good if you anticipate having a lot of down time to do reading, but otherwise pocket medicine is better.

why not buy both I say, have pocket medicine in your white coat pocket and your washington manual in your backpack to be very prepared

Get the red book. It's everywhere for a reason: it's the best. All of my medicine residents had one (many had the old blue ones with lots of annotations). If you need to go beyond the red book, grab a Harrison's that should be around somewhere or hit up uptodate.

RED BOOK is going to be GREEN in sept. 2010

New edition is coming out.
is this book useful for FM,OB,PSYCH,PEDS?

My IM rotation is after sept.

Shall I wait or buy?

RED BOOK is going to be GREEN in sept. 2010

New edition is coming out.
is this book useful for FM,OB,PSYCH,PEDS?

My IM rotation is after sept.

Shall I wait or buy?
It's useful for everything. I would get it now. You don't need the newest edition. I can assure you the changes will be modest. Many of my residents still use the previous edition (blue one).

If you're going into IM, FM, EM, Gen Surg might as well hold out for the green book. The blue bookers were always turning to us red bookers when they couldn't find something, so I would assume the green bookers would be even cooler. :D

I loved Pocket Medicine for my medicine internship.