Which ophtho journals are the best to start reading?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by HowBoutThat, May 29, 2008.

1. HowBoutThat

Medical Student
    Hi all, I'm still a med student but figuring I'll be reading ophtho journals in the future I was interested in starting to take a look at a few journals. Which general ophtho journal(s) are the best to read, ie most respected, have the biggest impact on trends in ophthalmology practice, etc? Thanks for your input in advance...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. papilledema

Resident [Any Field]
    I would suggest 'Archives of Ophthalmology' and 'Ophthalmology'.. I believe all residents get a free subscription to Ophthalmology courtesy the AAO. Also check out this link: http://in-cites.com/research/2005/may_30_2005-2.html

4. toulouselautrec

Attending Physician
    I would also recommend Survey of Ophthalmology. A smaller journal, but publishes excellent reviews.

My other suggestion would be to just read up on the ophthalmic manifestation/aspect of whatever disease process you're following on any particular rotation. This is something your medicine, surgery etc. teams will never expose you to. If you have a HIV/AIDS patient on the service, find out about the opportunistic ocular infections that this patient may develop. If there is a patient on your cardiology service on amiodarone, find out about the potential ophthalmic side effects of this medication. Etc... You might be able to educate your residents!