Which ophtho journals are the best to start reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowBoutThat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm still a med student but figuring I'll be reading ophtho journals in the future I was interested in starting to take a look at a few journals. Which general ophtho journal(s) are the best to read, ie most respected, have the biggest impact on trends in ophthalmology practice, etc? Thanks for your input in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest 'Archives of Ophthalmology' and 'Ophthalmology'.. I believe all residents get a free subscription to Ophthalmology courtesy the AAO. Also check out this link: http://in-cites.com/research/2005/may_30_2005-2.html

Hi all, I'm still a med student but figuring I'll be reading ophtho journals in the future I was interested in starting to take a look at a few journals. Which general ophtho journal(s) are the best to read, ie most respected, have the biggest impact on trends in ophthalmology practice, etc? Thanks for your input in advance...

I would also recommend Survey of Ophthalmology. A smaller journal, but publishes excellent reviews.

My other suggestion would be to just read up on the ophthalmic manifestation/aspect of whatever disease process you're following on any particular rotation. This is something your medicine, surgery etc. teams will never expose you to. If you have a HIV/AIDS patient on the service, find out about the opportunistic ocular infections that this patient may develop. If there is a patient on your cardiology service on amiodarone, find out about the potential ophthalmic side effects of this medication. Etc... You might be able to educate your residents!