Which Option is Best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroalltheway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am in a dilemma between choosing options to best work towards med and so I thought I'd seek your input. Here is a bit of my background:

Undergraduate in Kinesiology, graduated with a 79.8% overall, after dropping worst year, my percentage moves closer to 81%. My MCAT score on the new MCAT is 517, which is in the 95th percentile.

Volunteering/ECs: I have shadowed a family doctor while volunteering as an interpreter for almost 1 year, I have volunteered at a rehabilitation/research center for those with spinal cord injuries, with my role mostly consisting of greeting members, helping them with gym equipment for just over a year, a coordinator for an elementary neuroscience program for 3 years, with other extracurriculars consisting of music classes, student leadership roles at my uni, minor involvement in research, with a presentation at a university-level conference

Work: worked as a student advisor at my university and academic coach in my faculty, been an MCAT instructor with a prep course, and more recently in a more kinesiology related role focused on gait analysis and lower limb support.

I have applied to Canadian and American schools last year and received no interviews, concurrently I also applied to Ireland and Australia and got into those schools. I decided to take the Australian route and went all the way there but realized how long-term it is with most people there focused on settling in Australia than going back (either because they like the place or they can't go back; anecdotal about someone scoring in the top 3% of USMLE exams but still not getting any interviews in the US).....so I have decided to back out of this option and consider trying Canada again, with a particular focus on the University of Alberta and Calgary, I was pretty competitive there for in-province cut-offs, my cGPA at UofA was 3.89. I have lived in the province previously for 6 years but unfortunately not in the time frame that is required to be considered "in-province", so I was thinking maybe I can go back to school for a post-baccalaureate diploma or masters (ideally the former) and work part-time and then apply to those schools. If I get in great, if not, then I may re-consider Australia or the Carribean route, especially the SGU program that does 1 year in the UK.

I understand this is a lot of information, but I would really appreciate your opinion/feedback on my plan and if there are any other options I should look into given my stats and background. Also, any people who had similar stories and are in any of the programs I mentioned, your relevant insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this and I hope to read your comments soon.

Members don't see this ad.

You started med school in Australia then quit?

Anyway, you've probably read the U of Calgary MD Admissions blog, including the advice that applying to Canadian med schools for 5 years until considering calling it quits is reasonable.

There doesn't appear to be anything "wrong" with your application, so continuing to apply for the next 4 years (or until you get in, whichever happens first) is what you should do, despite how stressful it will likely be.

Go to the career centre @ the university you attended and have them read over your application, and attend any MMI training they offer. I did both and found it very worthwhile.

Am not sure a post-bacc is helpful if your cGPA was 3.89. Unless it was much lower by other schools' calculations, it's not what's keeping you out of med school.

Your GPA is not a 3.89 if your gpa on the % scale is 79%. How did you arrive at that?

Why did you go and start in australia, and then back out? The info you have about getting top 3% USMLE and not matching is incorrect, or rather not generalizable. Maybe if they were applying to a very competitive field - then sure. Seems like you have a lot of misinformation and questionable decisions.

Did you apply to USDO schools that are canadian friendly? A 517 should have compensated for your slightly lower GPA.