which optometry schools look for prerequisite gpa, instead of science gpa ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have done some reasearch. Some schools look for science/math gpa and some schools look for gpa of only prerequisite courses.

1) Schools that look for prerequisite gpa, but not science gpa = Puerto Rico optometry college, Massachusetts Neco optometry college and Michigan optometry college.

2) Schools that look for math and science gpa, but no prerequsite gpa= New York Suny optometry college.

I am not sure about Florida Nova, California scco optometry college, pennsylvania PCO optometry college, and Illinois ICO. Please tell me if these schools look for science/math gpa, or prerequisite gpa ?

Members don't see this ad.

I know ICO looks at science GPA as well as your GPA trend-maintaining good grades in upper level classes.

SCCO sends you a supplemental application after you apply that ask for your science as well as pre req classes, and if I remember correctly you record your pre req and total gpa. The PCO application asks for your pre req gpa, but they still calculate your science gpa.

Regardless of what you actually calculate on the application, all the schools you apply to will get your transcript. They'll have the ability to calculate any type of GPA (science, pre-req, major, etc), regardless of what they say they want from you.