Which order is the best to integrate subjects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ertwro

coming soon...step 1
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm not really comfortable with using review books (except for HY biostatistics, it's pure gold), besides theres still several months before my step 1 (my friends say it's an overkill but If i'm expected to treat patients here on I better stop fooling around).

Right now, I'm reviewing my textbooks in this sequence: 1)Embryology-moore, 2)histology-ross 3)anatomy-Big gray and latarjet 4)physiology-berne and boron 5)pathology-big robbins.

Two weeks have gone (f**k...already?) and I'm about to finish the G.I system (the first I'm doing), But how I'm supposed to integrate Molecular biology, biochemistry, pharmacology and Microbiology? ('cause they are not really systemic...well maybe pharmacology it's and exception).

One more thing. Is it there any good book about diagnostic tests?...I've heard of goljan but i've never see it.
Bye

Cheers for Doctors, the more highly trained kind monkeys in the world.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Your friends are right. It is overkill. You might as well just read Harrison's cover to cover.

Go to the step 1 experiences thread with many people who have scored excellent scores. Just about none of them use textbooks. Textbooks are full of low yield stuff that is not on step 1.

(my friends say it's an overkill but If i'm expected to treat patients here on I better stop fooling around).

That is irrelevant. Step 1 tests your knowledge of basic sciences concepts. Your ability to treat patients well will be reflected on your 3rd year performance. Using Review Books to have a FOCUSED study for step 1 has nothing to do with your ability to treat patients. It is not "fooling around". I have no idea where you would get that notion from. It is called using your time wisely.

If you really want to use a treat patients analogy.... You are taught to do a focused physical exam. You don't to a complete physical exam on every single patient that walks into your door. That is a waste of your precious time.

One more thing. Is it there any good book about diagnostic tests?...I've heard of goljan but i've never see it.

Diagnostic tests, other than the basic concepts that are covered in First aid and review books, is mostly something covered in Step2. Step 1 focuses on basic sciences, diseases and mechanisms.

Yeah, the basic sciences are best tackled before you start studying systems... so far so good. But, if you're going through the systems now and can't remember which encapsulated bacteria make IgA protease and cause meningitis, or what exactly the capsule does, you have to look it up. And I think it's a lot easier to find the answer in First Aid than it is in a micro book.

Last edited:
Go through general stuff first.

Then do your systems.

Days before the test review your micro and biochem. And yes, look it up as you go but some details are best left to day or two before the exam because it's going to be a hit or miss whether you get the question or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
First, I'm a complete idiot of that I'm sure, so be it I prefer to choose my mistakes. I meant to say that I slacked off a lot (I did rarely attend lectures, but still did pretty good) and now that I'm about to begin (T=-4 months) the clinical part I feel like I need to study (feel like really I'm in med-school) a lot more.

Second, about reading Harrison's from cover to cover, it's highly possible because I kinda have a little OCPD, e.g. I'm around 4/7 parts of big Robbins and I've read all of my books without skipping a single page.

Third, suppose you support me and do agree with what I'm doing. What I wanted to ask is: Do you recommend the general principles and systems approach (what I've done is G.I's embryo, G.I's histo, G.I's anato, G.I's physio and G.I's patho…purely systemic; but I'm doubting if a more regional development e.g. esophagus Embryo, etc. would be better)
I do prefer leaving microbiology, immunology, biochemistry, pharmacology as a third category (this because in my school we took a class addressed "clinical biochemistry", all the content was basically everything from Williams endocrinology, there we learned every single route in transduction and the relationship with the tests) so what you think?

And lastly, I did ask for a good book with diagnostic test & lab findings exclusively because of Webpath type of questions.
Maybe you do not agree with my way of doing things, but now I'm puzzled merely about logistics.
Bye.

If that's the way you prefer to do things, no one will change your mind. Given that you've only got 2 weeks, how are you going to finish all the systems and still have time to review everything?

I recommend you picking up First AID for the other minor subjects.

It depends on how you prefer to study things. I personally prefer to drive straight into the "meat" of the material and then move to the other stuff. I started with Pathology, then went to physiology. Then I am going to do basic sciences. I am doing it subject based, so I can get multiple passes through each organ system on First Aid.

If you are going to use textbooks, at least get First Aid so you can guide your studying.