Which paediatrics pocket book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon_thurlow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 4th year med student from the UK and I'm soon going for a 2 month elective in a busy mission hospital in Kenya (plus a month of holiday afterwards), where there's obviously a lot of paeds admissions, and it sounds like I'll have a lot of responsibilty for diagnosis, writing up and starting meds, as there aren't many doctors and they want us students to learn.

So I'm wondering if anyone's used different pocket books for paeds, and/or for any opinions on which ones are good or not so good or just downright terrible?

So far I've briefly looked at The Harriet Lane Handbook, A Paediatric Vade Mecum, Churchill's Pocket Paediatrics, and the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties section on paeds. But it's pretty difficult trying to see which one is best for real-life use when I'm just flicking through them in a library.

So - if anyone has any opinions of or experiences with those books, or any other, it'd be good to hear them.

Thanks!

Jon

Members don't see this ad.

Harriet Lane is pretty popular here. Most incoming interns get a free copy, I think. I haven't personally read any of them from cover to cover, but Harriet Lane is considered the gold standard. It's pretty bulky for a whitecoat pocket, though.

Good luck.