Which path makes the most sense for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel128

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I previously posted here regarding my situation for the MD-PhD path. In essence, I asked that given my current academic standing if I have a realistic shot at a MD-PhD program. Now, I am very seriously evaluating the potential paths: MD, DO, MD-PhD, PhD (in cell biology, toxicology or pharmacology).

Briefly, I love research, especially cancer research. I was exposed to this line of work very early and have fell in love ever since. I would spend personal times catching up with literature and watching webinars/attending seminars. At the same time, I also want to become a physician both to practice medicine and to conduct research in future (most likely academia). This is largely due to my birth defects (growing up with constant health problems) and experiencing loss of love one to cancer.

-Combing the two passion, MD-PhD would make perfect sense, but I'm not sure if 1.) I can get into any program and 2.) I'm committed to 8 years.

-In terms of a pure DO or MD, I don't want to give up the opportunity to conduct research for the 4 years + however many years of residency. Personally, I will follow footsteps of a doctor I once shadowed to both practice clinically and conduct research. For this I will likely specialize in oncology or radiology (for the technical development aspect for cancer research)

-In terms of PhD, I will either pursue cell biology, toxicology (for the development origing due to external influence) or pharmacology (backup plan for industry). With this path, I can conduct research and be happy, but I will lose out the option to practice medicine and interact with patients. Probably will find my way into a med school in terms of academia.

With all that said, I also want to be realistic. I think I will be happy no matter what I end up doing, because I was born into poverty with both parents working the minimum wage jobs all their lives. I grew up working long shifts in restaurants right after school to support family. The fact I have a chance to pursue a career that I for sure know I will love is the biggest bless!

here's my standing so far as a rising junior. Because I did not decide to pursue pre-med earlier, I'm behind in terms of volunteering and shadowing. Nonetheless, I hope to commit to a path for now and start preping for future.

Research experience (started first semester of freshman year to present)
-1 co-first author and 2 second authors
-likely 1 more first author and 1-2 second authors by the time I graduate
-will complete a honors thesis
-multiple research presentations: poster and oral
-3 awards (i.e. summer fellowship) for research

Academic
-sGPA: 3.6
-my big concern. Will likely end up around 3.5-3.6 given all science courses in junior/senior year.
-2 C+ in physics while mostly A in chem
-have not even begin to look at MCAT. Probably not going to stand out
-I spent 70% of my time during semesters in lab. Barely have time to study for courses

Volunteer/leadership
-heavily involved in UNC program both as a peer mentor and as a council member
-writer/editor for a few science journals
-no hospital volunteer experience
-I don't think its too late; but likely won't get too much hours - say, less than 100 hours.
-shadowed 1 MD-PhD in breast cancer department for a couple weeks
-will do more

Misc.
-fantastic PI rec letter, great rec letter from an NIH PI and my chem professor/mentor

I sincerely thank you for your valuable time and input!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.