Which Pedo Program Should I Rank 1st?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misty818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m having a lot of difficulty figuring out how to rank my top choice for pediatric dental residencies. I would greatly appreciate any insight you have for me.

I am currently in NYC, living with my fiancé, and love my life here. I feel the best pediatric program may not be here in the city, but location is very important to me. I recognize the residency will be 2 years out of my life, but I’m trying to figure out if it is worth uprooting my entire life here (fiancé, friends, close to family, fun city) to pursue a more prestigious/rigorous program. After all, no matter what program you graduate from, you’re still a pediatric dentist in the end. My fiancé will not be staying in NYC.

Option 1: New York City hospital-based program
-paid
-relatively relaxed program
-call for a week at a time (do not get called very often)
-get the feeling it is pretty independent learning, and you’re there as an employee, not really a student

Option 2: Ohio State
-paid; also get a masters and tuition is waived
-more structured; feel like I will learn a lot more here
-more intense call (going in for more things) for 1 day at a time, but more resident to balance it out

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with 2

Not sure mate. Sounds like you need to have a talk with your fiancé.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, fiancé WILL be staying in nyc. That was a critical typo!

This thread sounds like: Montefiore or OSU/Nationwide Children's? Can't go wrong with either ;)

Option 2 is likely a better program, this all depends on how willing your are to have an LDR.

I hear that about call a lot - that people want slow call - but I think for the one year of your life when you’re taking call you want to see emergencies and get more comfortable treating them. I think I’ve grown a lot as a practitioner and personally having to manage emergency call patients and I’m grateful to have had a lot of them.

Thanks for your reply free99. I went to a level 1 trauma GPR program where we took first call for oral surgery (lots of facial trauma, dental trauma, infections). While there is ALWAYS more to learn, I can’t help but feel that I’ve “paid my dues” and the thought of having to spend another year of sleepless nights, on-edge waiting for the pager to go off is really unappealing.