Which Physic shall I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooloogooloo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school, like most schools, offer a variety of physic course. My major only requires PHY 111~113 (Molecular Genetic), but PHY 131~133 which are for engineering, chemistry, biochem majors, are recommended to take for pre-med students. However, pre-med students only are required to take PHY 111~113.

I know it looks better with a more challenging course, but aren't there whole lot of people get into medical school with only a BS in Biology? I am afraid of getting a lower GPA by taking harder PHY course. In fact, I have a below average GPA right now. The most urgent thing for me is really to pull up my GPA. Do you think I shall go ahead to take the easier 111~113 course instead of 131~133 for the sake of securing a good GPA?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most recommend to go for the GPA and stick with the algebra based physics. I have rarely heard that it is an issue with med schools. An A or B in algebra physics won't keep you out of med school, but a C or D in cal based might. At least that's what I was told!

so very happy to hear that!

Members don't see this ad :)
But calculus based will make you a better person. Everyone (yes, everyone) at my school must take it.

If you don't have a strong base in calculus, do NOT take calculus-based physics (the one for engineers). Alright, so I did okay in Ap calc in high school, but it's been four years since then and I'm taking Physics II calc-based. I've forgotten how to do some of the integrals. I feel stupid. Ya don't need calc-based, or the "harder" physics for the MCAT. go with whatever pushes up your GPA, I suppose.

Originally posted by cubes:
•But calculus based will make you a better person. Everyone (yes, everyone) at my school must take it.•

What school you go to?

As what leorl said, I really should go for the GPA oriented one. I got A from my Calculus, however I just don't have enough courage to take Honor Ochem + Honor Ocehm lab + Cal. Phys together. I still have other class to take, a job in the lab, 2 officers positions in 2 organizations, study MCAT, improve ESL level English skill, v-work plus church and fellowship.

What would you rather do? Explain a "C" to an ADCOM about how you took some hard Physics for engineering or get an "A" and move on.

Physics is not likely to be discussed in an interview unless you blow it big time, so don't worry.

Save your energy for O-chem.

um, no question there! Algebra based. GPA always triumphs over hard coursework. Sad, but true.

I am taking Calc based this semester and both are almost the same (my prof. told me that since he teachs both.).... Only a small part is different from the Algebra based... and I haven't had to use any integrals yet... Just couple of vector multiplications.. which is extremely easy...

I took calc-based physics because I thought having a deeper understanding of physics would help me on the MCAT. I got a 12 in phys on the MCAT. For biology I opted for the non-honors "easy" biology and got a 9 in bio on the MCAT. This could be coincedence. But I agree with cubes, taking calc-based physics will make you a better person. I don't even understand how anyone can teach physics without calc... but I guess it's done.

However, if you're not good in physics and you don't think you could get an A, take "algebra based" physics.

The calc they use for calc based physics is SOO basic... like simple derivatives and integrals.. which a pre-med should have already been exposed to it in Calc II...

I'd go with algebra-based physics. As for the MCAT, I thought the course was very adequate in covering eveything in an understandable manner (I got an 11 in phys sci.

Hello.
definitely take the GPA safe, easier physics. the medical schools don't know what those course numbers stand for and won't know which is hard and which is easy or how many are offered. take the easy one, save yourself alot of unnessecary work. okay? cool, good luck

Thank you for all these many tons of useful and generous replies!! You guys are awesome!

BTW, indeed, cal. based should make me a better person. But I have heard that it's really easy to get good grade in the lower level Physics. I guess that will be the only difference- easier to get a good grade.

I don't want to give you bad advice. Take the algebra based if you want the easiest root to an MD. If, however, you want to understand physics (which will help your mcat) instead of memorizing formulas, take the calculus verson.

The answer is: the easiest one that med schools will take. Personally I'm a big fan of physics and so didn't do this, but did for all the other reqs if there were options. --Trek

My vote is for the Calc-based Physics course. Sure you could take the easy way out, but do you really want to when you have the chance to LEARN more my putting in some more work? Let us not forget that everything in our lives does not revolve around med school admissions!

(I must admit, I like physics alot, so I may be biased.)

Originally posted by jargon124:
•My vote is for the Calc-based Physics course. Sure you could take the easy way out, but do you really want to when you have the chance to LEARN more my putting in some more work? Let us not forget that everything in our lives does not revolve around med school admissions!

(I must admit, I like physics alot, so I may be biased.)•

err, weigh b/t GPA+lifetime of happiness and the joy of PHYSICS, I probably will choose the first one.

TREK:
hey, if there is HONOR OCEHM and REGULAR OCEHM, which one would you take?